Panda Guppies - babies!

Phil

Hey Everyone,

Im happy because today one of my female guppies gave birth to a heap of fry. Now its been 3 or 4 weeks so i am hoping that the father will be one of my panda males. They came from an aquarium and there were no males in the tank so chances are high that the father is a panda.

Dont know what ot expect fry wise by crossing a panda with a half black female but i am looking forward to finding out :rolleyes:

It was lucky, i separeated the female last night and she had them thisafternoon!

Cheers Phil

oh awesome!!! i like the look of panda guppies... you technically didnt see the dad? and all this but no pics!!! shame on you mister moderator, shame shame shame!!!

p.s congradulations on the fry :rolleyes:

That's excellent Phil. I've got guppy fry coming out my eyeballs at the moment. Part of me wants to develop a line the other part wants to focus on bettas. Are you going to try to develop a half black panda line? I read somewhere that you need 8 tanks to maintain a strain!! Took my breath away a bit.

Lol Ned, ive tried to get pics. I will try again!!

I meant i am hoping that the panda male was the dad, and that she didnt get fertlised before i bought her. Odds are high that she hadnt been and that the father is a panda.

8 tanks? no way, they can have one, possibly 2. I think i will have a tank for males and a tank for females and then will just pick out the best 2 and let them two create the next generation, the rest can just go into the planted tank till i am over crowded :P

when it does get over crowded ill take some panda's off you :P

haha i had two guppies and my first female betta, they were sold to me as "cold water" guppies, but i later found out they were just tropicals riased to live in cold water and will die in a few weeks or months anyway... but sadly my female killed them both before they could get that far.

Will try for pics soon Limmo :P

Sure Ned, they are guppies, i am sure i will have far to many soon!

I dont get the whole coldwater livebearer thing. There is just one LFS around my area that sells them like that, and i think they charge more for them too!!

A guppy or swordtail is a guppy or swordtail weather its sold for tropical or coldwater, they all want the same conditions idealy.

oh i get it now.. so its like having a half panda.. these little guppies are starting to interest me now. Phil you are a bad influence, now im tossing up between guppies or little oscars!! grrr at you because i like little oscars!

Oscars are messpots though, you'd need a huge tank and a huge filter. Go with the guppies and just send me anything you need to cull and I'll hand it over to the clawed critters. :D

And you are perfectly positioned for guppies too, St George has some great ones!

i take it cull is another word for killing the ones you dont want? removing the excess? cutting the fat?

i was looking at some crabs in a tank with some type of chichilds and if the buggers got too close the crab will strike at it lol. i thought that was really cool. no i have my heart set on oscars and when i have a larger tank and room for some oscars i will get them.

back to topic though, Phil where are these photos of the pandas we been waiting on?

8 days old and they are already starting to colour up!! So much more efficient than bettas! Its possible the female was already pregnant when i got her cause it seems she had these babies a week too early, but i am still happy, they are healty and swimmin round so all is good :welcome:

I know Phil won't mind me adding to his thread. When I releases the Empire Gudgeons into the 'red plant' tank last night, and turned the light back on a bit later, turns out I have baby guppies too! They could be 50% pandas also, as it's been more than 28 days since I brought the female and 2 males home - although I read that the females can store sperm for up to 6 months, so who knows WHO the fathers are. I expect that the gudgeons will eat most if not all the babies, but there are a lot of hiding places so who knows?

Archived