Planted Tank Journal

Yep they are cheaper and easy to maintain. Just as easy as regular Angelfish.

I got the 2 i have from work, and the body size was about a 10cent piece plus fins and they are about $30each and aquarium bred so arent difficult at all. One LFS around here bought them from us and they are retailing for about $65each!!

Ive nearly been off work for 2 months so cant say if there are any left, but if u wanted them i am sure i could get some couriered to you when I go back.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you work at a wholesaler or importer? Or did one LFS buy from another?

Can I take a raincheck on the Altums? Of course deep down I really want them now, now, now, but sensible me is insisting on making sure that the tank I'd put them in is absolutely stable. Wouldn't want to lose any.

Yep i work at an Importer/wholesaler. Raincheck is fine, im not even sure if there are any left. Remember they are not true altums so are just as hardy as the regular scalares, since, they are a scalare :)

Anyway let me know if you need anything :(

Back to topic....

Photos Today :D

Project currently on hold. Something must of came in with the new fish and infected all my angels, so the tank is currently green while being treated with Myxazin. I know, i am stupid for not quarrintineing the fish. I quarrintined the guppies, as they are usually the trouble for me, but it turns out they are all 100% healthy.

Back on track hopefully soon

Cleaned out this tank today and removed all fish to a smaller tank to treat with TC since they arent getting any better with the Myxazin.

All he java moss i put onto the wood was brown and the wood seemed to have this white bacterial slime growing on it in places. Decided that the wood will go, can go outside into one of the ponds to age for a while and i will look at some fancy rocks to use with the plants.

There is a bonsai nursery in Riverstone that sells fancy rocks that i want to go and have a look at.

Kept the plants, gave them a 20min dip in PP to help steralize them.

They were soaked, guess I will c tomorrow aswell to see what they look like. No yours werent put into the tank, i just added some tapwater to the bag, sealed it and then just floated them under the light in the bag..

Thanks lisa. There are more plants in there that you cant see in the picture.

The wood is out in the pond. All the java moss went brown and the wood had some white fungus/slime growing on it so it got the boot. It can age in the pond till i decide if i want to use it again.

Yep i think i must of got one of the last orders.

Will take some closeup pics once i charge the camera up again, but here is one closeup'ish picture.

Today i got 22 pieces of Blyax japonica as a foreground plant. The plants aret as pale as the photo makes out tho.

tank30may07.jpg

geez... that looks like an LFS display... only 1032 times better... where are the prices lol...

that looks great... its so interesting to see fish tanks with no fish lol... but regardless, that looks awesome.

Jess told me about the Rule of Thirds in photography, and I think the same thing applies to planted tanks. Can you move the spatterdock slightly to one side? It will look more natural slightly off-centre.

But apart from my nitpicky suggestion, it looks brilliant!! Nice duckweed too :). Did it cut the light down much? And how is YOUR ottelia going?

Phil you have far too much money these days...large tanks, MH lights, and by the looks of it a bazillion or so plants.

Have you found that the MH is making the plants grow more than when you use to use normal lights?

Looks good!

Well the duckweed is across the entire top of the tank and the tank is still really bright, but the fish seem happy and so far no algal blooms so i am happy.

The spatterdock is off centre abit. But, once the ottellia alismoides and the otellia ulvafolia on either ends fill in the spatter dock wont stand out so much.

LOL @ Lambo. I decided Ive had no life for the last 2 months so stuff it, i will just buy what i want :P

Hard to say if they grow faster, they arent doing bad thats for sure. They havent been in even a week and they have grown well, plants that i didnt even know could are going pink under the light and stuff seems to be sending down roots and new shoots everywere. Give it a few weeks and i might be able to compare once they've had a chance to settle in and establish, but yep i would say the MH lights help :)

Im thinking of 2 really big discus in there. I had to go to work for a meeting during the week and they had some jumbo ones in quarrintine.

Plants are going well. The blyxa japonica's are all flowering and everything seems to be settling in and getting some new growth. The duckweeds roots are over 6cm long!!

The red tiger lotus's are from ebay, they just cost me $6.50!! i just ordered 3 more yesterday. Thats great since they are usually around $50 in the shops.

The spatterdock was $34.99 which i thought was a great price, ive seen them in another aquarium for $70!!

Archived