Planted Tank Journal

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Ok so the black sand had to go, it didnt let my grow any plants, just made them perish within a few days. So thats not very helpful. I switched over to sydney sand, and im quite happy with the results, but not totally.

This is how the tank looks now :

4fttank.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not exactly.The tank above has just been bare for ages. First problem was algae that wouldnt go away, second was the black fluffy algae growing on the drift wood and third was the pleants weren't really interested in grwong in the sydney (beach) sand. So thats sorta a planted tank killer and means it was in need of re doing.

And plus, i get bored easy :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is re done. Just got to get some pics.

New plants include:

Red Spatterdock

Green Spatterdock

Native Val

HM

HC

Native aponogetons x 4

Red alternenthera

zoiserfolia

Big funky red/green lotus

And i think thats about it at the moment

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the pic Liam! And thanks celeste, i got sick of this look, just wasnt doing it for me but i gave it a good shot lol.

Ok so next up is a driftwood open top tank with wood going out of the water. I got four awesome pieces of wood on the weekend, this is the first piece to go in, its damn huge but i didnt think it was so big until i actually put it into the tank:

driftwoodonesmall.jpg

I got the drifwood from one of my local aquariums, South Windsor fish Hatchery.

So i cut the piece above to make it fit in the tank. I tried doing the open top thing but it really did look ridiculous and made it sorta impossible to put lights over the tank. Was a shame to cut but the base is still good. This is how it looks at the moment:

tankdwt5.jpg

Archived