Quiet Air Pumps

Tuataress

currently i am running 2 Rena(or something like that) and one chinese branded "haishe" or soemthing close to it. frankly the Rena hardly makes any noise and because it has a little "loop"on the side i just used a cable tie and hanged it on the shelf making it even less noisy. the Haishe one i can comment entirely on it since its on the garage and frankly for now i really dont spend that much time in there yet..

i'm using an Aqua One SR-2500 it's basically the smallest one you can get 150L/hr but it's in my bedroom and i can't hear it unless i'm within 1 ft of it. it's just sitting on the desk next to my tank. on the box it says "safe and quiet operation" so i guess it must be right! it only cost me about $10-12. ~Stacey

from what i have seen most of them have a small hinge on one side, and if you hang the pump, it will seriously reduce the "buzzing" they do. or if you have some of it spare, those rubber mat's they use on dashboards work wonders too! you can buy those of bunnings and cut to whatever size you require.

• 10 months later...

Well, I'm still right behind the Stellars, the little one I have is still pretty hush hush and was still plodding along doing its job after getting saltwater backflow through its tube! Tis quieter now it is dry :lol:

I had a hefty big Sera that was fairly quiet, but it is in need of repair so no comment on that one til it has some new lungs.

I have an Elite 799 in the loungeroom which is a bit noisy and a Aquarworld in my bedroom which is very quiet when its not touching something , the Aquarworld one has pretty longish rubber legs which must reduce the vibrations or something , Id buy the Aquarworld over the Elite..

Stellar, Rena and Eheim are one of the quietest airpumps you can buy along with the german Schego brand the rolls royce of all airpumps with a matching price tag to boot, i have used the sera and stellar and aqua one and the seras are currently giving me grief only 18months old but noisy as , and dont seem to work as well as they did in the beginning

cheers

Matching the load on the pump to the pump seems to go a long way towards 'silencing' them... the best I have is a cheapie from the net, I'd have to look at it (at home) to find the brand, but it has a dial to turn the motor up and down... using that dial, I can tune it so it's pumping the right amount of bubbles to be utterly silent in the hex tank... I have an Aqua One SR 7500 here at work, and as long as it's running flat out, it's happy (two speeds, both are quiet), but if it's throttled back with the t-piece's I have to swap between my bubble coil and the bubble wall, it gets huge amounts of vibration - I've had three or four of various other brands and sizes, and they've made a ton of noise because they're not up to pumping against the pressure of water/depth/length of wall, etc... pressure on the pump mechanism seems, to me, to be the biggest reason for noise - if you want less bubbles in a tank, rather than throttling the air back, bleed it out of the lines and it's much, much quieter - and that's with ALL the pumps I've run...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived