Status Of Betta Clubs In Australia

Fishchick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any physical meeting that you have would need insurance. If you had a club meeting in your house and something happened you could be in trouble. It'd be easier to have some sort of blanket insurance, but probably not cheaper <_< Thats going to be the sticking point. Liability and insurance. ^_^

Any physical meeting that you have would need insurance.

I'm a member of a lapidary club - were ppl go tp 'cut and polish' rocks and gems - lots of potentially dangerous machines....the way that they finance they're insurance is to charge a small fee each time you come to the premises to work, plus the annual club membership fee.

Maybe physical meetings could be structured to same way....if you choose to come to a meeting, pay a small fee.

Just a thought......

I don't think that insurance is a deal breaker.

The club wouldn't necessarily be liable for everything that happens BTW - if the meetings were in a house that had building and contents insurance there would probably be legal liability cover for injury to visitors incorporated into that (subject to the terms and conditions of the relevant policy). If it was at a neighbourhood centre then the fee of renting the premises out probably covers the cost of the occupier's (ie, owner') insurance. Also just because someone is injured doesn't mean they can sue you - there are damages thresholds in NSW and I understand similar thresholds apply in other states, meaning that someone isn't going to be able to sue anyone (club, owner of premises etc) for a glass cut or falling on their rear.

insurance is probably a bit of a micro issue until we work out the general structure of the thing. Until then we don't know whether we really need insurance and if so, what type. Charging an entry fee like Fiona suggested is a one idea to cover the cost of insurance on an ad hoc basis.

Any other club experiences amongst our members we could learn from and adapt?

The Australian Bridge Federation is worth at look at. They're a national body (incorporated in ACT) with constituent associations from each state, plus affiliates. The national Federation governs competitions, registers players, and generally makes rules for bridge playing in Australia. The web site has copies of their Constitution, details of their insurance coverage etc. I notice that their constituent associations are State incoroporated bodies. Worth a look at. :lol:

that's an idea lilli, if shows were held at a venue that already has insurance like a rec center or something :) that way you don't need to get your own insurance, you just pay the fee for renting the space :) also something else to look into, i know there are organisations like arts council's and such that cover smaller organisations (ie. community cinemas) with their insurance, would there be something similar to that for fish clubs maybe?

I really think that obsessing over insurance is not the right direction for this to take, just at this point. What we really need to decide is 1. Do we actually need a club/clubs? (I think we do) 2. If so - what for? What can a club offer that we can't achieve via the forum (plenty - especially to do with shows, as the suggestions above suggest). 3. Assuming we do need a club, what would its vision, mission and goals be? 4. only once we work that stuff out do we know whether we even need insurance and if so, what sort. EG, if the club is primarily aimed at putting on displays at shows, what insurance is involved in that? What has been involved in the shows/displays put on to date? 5. Do the 2 existing clubs wind up or do they amalgamate? My personal view? If at all possible, wind them up and start anew with a fresh constitution, rules and goals. 6. The club could always start as a show society and grow from there, depending on its success. Several of the ideas suggested above really wouldn't need a club to put them on (eg a few AAQ members could individually band together and put on awareness stall at the markets themselves, like Mick did, or we could arrange a "garage show" through AAQ - it wouldn't literally have to be in someone's garage). Once we work out the big picture, we can start getting to the micro issues. I have found that at work certain business planning techniques are really helpful to help visualise what an organisation can be designed to achieve. The "balanced scorecard" is a good one. Something like that could help work out what it is that people want. at the moment, it's hard to see where all these ideas can really go until we know what is going to happen to the existing clubs. Also, while I think that this has been a useful brainstorming exercise, who decides at the end what the club is for and what it will do? who decides what its vision, mission and goals are? Is it fair for those who ultimately end up being on the committee to be lumped with the wish-list of people who are not going to be involved in actually running the thing? As any one of the roughly 20 people who have been on committees of any incarnation of the 2 existing clubs will tell you, being on such a committee is, for the most part, quite the opposite of fun, especially when there are forces acting against you... which is hopefully no longer the case but as someone who pulled the pin on involvement in the original Australian Betta Association almost 2 years ago, I am not really sure that such elements have actually lost interest in making things difficult for the true enthusiasts.

i definitly think we need a club! a place for people to get together and discuss genetics/bettas in any topic you can think of, get support from other members, info on how to treat disease's properly (maybe do research on the spread and severity of disease's??) and maintain their bettas properly, educate people on bettas and increase LFS treatment of them, and of course the shows :) sounds a LOT like the forum, but, having a network of people you can actually visit and talk with is a lot more reassuring and you tend to learn better from talking to people :) i'd say an important mission/goal would be to increase awareness and education on bettas in australia, and another would be to track the colours/varieties of bettas in australia and establish ourselves on the gloabal map for quality bettas bred by us locals :) i'd love to see the next gene lucas or Sarawut Angkunanuwat come from australia!

Both Clubs have there part to play in all of this :) I would personally like to see the clubs merge, that way no one misses out. Folding both clubs isn't a good idea since Betta Australis have done 4-5 shows and judged nationally and comittee members have also judged internationally. BA is also being assessed by QFAS for membership - something you shouldn't put away lightly if granted. It sounds like they need a secretary and more people power. Once these issues are addressed along with other ideas and goals, they can get things moving!! I also don't think state clubs need to be addressed yet, stick with one club and get it up and going.. see how things progress and then branch off or add more only when the time is right. We are Australia afterall! :) my 2 cents :)

I agree that starting with a national body would be the way to go. Merging the exsiting clubs is probably more hassle than it's worth, since there would be little benefit in the long term. However, that said, I think it would be highly desirable to keep BA going, even if it means a complete restructure and adopting a new Constitution and rules, since BA has IBC chapter status as well as Show experience, networks in the broader aquarium hobby, and two IBC judges as members/committee members. There's nothing to prevent state clubs starting out as semi-formalised (unregistered) interest groups, as long as the parent body's rules are structured to recognise the developmental nature of these groups and permit some kind of recognition by or affiliation with the national club. I agree, too, that there needs to be a structured process for interested parties to develop a statement of mission, goals and objectives that can be put out for comment to interested parties. There are plenty of methodologies for the process. The real issue is going to be how to do this in an inclusive way, so that as many interested people in the betta keeping community can have a say, without opening doors that we would all rather remain closed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived