Oscar Tank And Tankmates

Leema

I want an oscar! :) Or two. Now, the internet says 283litres for two oscars. Is this correct? I have the understanding that even though I might get two juvie oscars, and grow them up together, they may end up hating one another anyway... Is that right? I am wanting to get made is 3ftx2ftx2ft - 340 litres. Would that be okay for 2 oscars? I'd want to put it on a trickle filter - would that be suffice? I understand oscars are 'messy' fish. I'd like to put in at least one, but preferably two, large plecos. What species would you suggest? When the oscars are juvies, I'd like to try them with some kind of schooler. I know that the oscars may grow up to eat them, but I also hear that oscars 'befriend' and remember their 'friends'... So I'm willing to give it a try, anyway. I'm thinking 9 barbs (tigers, albinos, moss - a mix) or 20 serpae tetras. How does that sound? Could I cycle with either species? I'd be able to seed the tank filtration, obviously. :) Any considerations would be much appreciated! :lol:

I have two ocars i got them as juvies there only 3 or 4 month and there about 150mm all ready mine r not that messy i dont think any way, the tank you getting is fine ocars ,they stick together you have to buy them together to not one bigger than the other putting other fish is risky speak to your lps but i carnt put any thing with mine there r a aggessive fish but realy nice good luck shirley

Minimum size for 2 oscars is 340L (75G if you work in gallons) & you'll need to add more to take into account the pleco as that is another large messy fish, so I'd say go with a larger 6ft and a cannister filter. A 4ft tank is ok for a single O if you were wanting to go that way, but it wouldn't take any tank mates. Your proposed 3ft is the right size for a single O, but being only 3ft long isn't going to give the poor fellow much in the way of swimming room once he grows, so a longer tank would be better.

Posted Image

Look at that face!! :betta::thumbs:

I love how they look, I love how they're big, and I'm interested in their reputation as 'the dog of the fish world' - and how true they live up to being personality fish. :cheer:

Every time I see this thread, I can't help but think... tank mates?? Don't you just chuck in some feeders and hope they make friends? Tee hee.. Nam's finally got the water changing technique of not flooding tank mastered, so I'm letting him have an oscar. We saw a couple of good looking albino tigers but I still like the standard red tigers. I want one like Mousie's big O.

Lee and I went out fish shop trawling the other day, and we found a massive O that had a complete bruiser look, but you just couldn't help loving him, kinda like one of those pug dogs, ugly us, but still cute :flex:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's what sold me on them! :)

I don't want to hear your oscar stories! They make me insanely jealous and sad! :scared:

• 3 months later...

Whoo hoo! We finally got our first oscar!! How, he's about 4" and we're thinking of giving him 2 tanksmates.. a large football sized kissing guourami and a goldfish. The goldfish is rather large and won't fit into oscar's mouth.. so was wondering if this set up will end in tears? Or because oscar is young enough, we shouldn't have any issues?

Whoo hoo! We finally got our first oscar!!

How, he's about 4" and we're thinking of giving him 2 tanksmates.. a large football sized kissing guourami and a goldfish. The goldfish is rather large and won't fit into oscar's mouth.. so was wondering if this set up will end in tears? Or because oscar is young enough, we shouldn't have any issues?

How big is the tank, Mishy? I suspect you'd be pushing it to have a big gourami as well as an oscar -- gouramis are a bit unpredictable in temperament, in my (limited) experience, and it could get ugly :photo: A goldie would be happier in cooler water than you'd want for either an oscar or a kisser, and the slow-moving fancy-finned ones just look like a packed lunch to an oscar :rant:

The tank is 200L (4X2X2ft tank) which is currently inhabited by Stewie the kissing gourami and his sidekick, Goldie. Stewie isn't football sized.. sorry I meant football shaped! He's stopped growing outwards and more in thickness in the past year. He was temperamental when he was younger (used to headbutt ALL tankmates) but he's mellowed out with age. Vicki, I've noticed that goldfishes are very very lethagic when in cold water here (possibly cause the water goes to about 10 degrees in my house) and definately perk up when I chuck a heater in there. We're thinking the Goldie and Stewie because they'll clean up after the oscar...

Archived