Corys

crdave

I have three bronze corys in an 8L holding tank until their big tank is ready for them. I am running a small hob filter atm. My question is do theu need good curent in thier water and should I get them a small airstone.

hi dave, If you are worried at all you could always put an airstone in anyway, it won't really increase the current tremendously, but will rather cause surface agitation and increase the oxygen concentration, which is good for the corys anyway... the flow rate of the HOB sounds fine. I'm sure they will be fine!!! :hug: All The Best, Daniel

Even when the water is well-oxygenated, cories tend to do this odd thing where they occasionally dart to the surface and gulb air. Later they then, er, expel that air through their anus. If they are hanging near the surface though, that isn't a good thing. Drop the water level so the surface ripples nicely as the water re-enters. Its a fine balance, you want gentle ripples, not white water. That should get rid of the need for an airstone (unless you want it, then go for it :hug:)

Even when the water is well-oxygenated, cories tend to do this odd thing where they occasionally dart to the surface and gulb air. Later they then, er, expel that air through their anus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the little squeaks they make when they do that.. they really are a mouse fish :hug:

Hmmm, farting fish hey. I hope mine don't do it when we have visitors :):) Although it could be a pretty funny party trick. :lol: Anyway, I decided to put them in the big tank which will be their permanent home and they are happy as larry. I checked the ph before hand and it is 7.5. Every time I check water I get readings at 7 - 7.5. which from what I understand is ok?

What food are you using? For 8 i'd probably use 3 sinking pellets, but broken in half so they dont have to fight too hard to get a fair share. It'll depend on the other fishies in the tank too, as tey'll get the scraps from surface feeders and if you have other bottom feeders or bold fish, they might steal the sinking food. Maybe just start with that and see how you go :)

There's only the three of them in their tank atm as the female bettas are still in qt. I give them one pellet of Aqua master Cory Tabs that the shop gave me and they seem to be doing really well. Mind you the guy in the shop didn't really seem to give a s**t how they went. :D BTW one of the girls at work put a cory in with our office Betta called Bruce :D . I had my doubts but now they get along just fine. Is this unusual?

Actually bruce is a really chilled out fish and isn't bothered by the cory and the cory isn't bothered by Bruce either.They swim quite close to each other and aren't bothered at all. I reckon its pretty cool so I might try it at home. Not with a couple of my boys though, they can be a bit excitable :lol:

Archived