Oscars - Who Keeps Them & Info Please

Figure_8

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:( More O's for AA !... Ozz decided the 3 neons in his tank were food and 1 by 1 they disappeared the other-day then the dag spent all day friday sulking cos he had no tank-mates left...LOL...silly me forgot how much of a sook he is and went thru all the water-change routine etc... ....eventually I chucked fatty-boombah ( obese female betta) back in there and he cheered up instantly...he loves her company ... even if she spends most of the time hiding in a corner he's happy again!...guess this O just loves company in his tank even if he does occaisonally eat them... ;);) ... he has grown...now he is 4 inches long, much bigger all round as well...prolly all the tank-mates hes eaten... :(

a special Ozzy section ...yeah! Mousie did you know oscars love to eat grasshoppers? :D I didnt until the boys chucked one in for Oz to chase... well he did and he loved it.. they sorta walk on water for a few seconds until the "O" spots them... then theyre dinner! :lol: this Oz of mine has grown so fast I am scouring the quokka for a 6 footer tank for him NOW... if he keeps this up he'll be full-grown by Christmas :lol: I do hope we are not overfeeding him...but I am too scared to post on that Oscar-forum...they dont seem near as friendly as us... Ozz gets 2 feeds a day and sometimes a snack of 1-2 pellets at lunch.?... does this seem ok?

A couple of feeds a day while they are growing is a good thing. They are pretty big eaters, so I wouldn't be concerned about over feeding with that amount, but I would keep an eye on the tank params since they are messy little sausages. Live foods are especially hard on the water conditions. I've made a couple of posts on the O forum and found them to be very welcoming and friendly :lol:

Well, I did it! Here's "Ollie"...

Posted Image

After thoroughly drenching the LFS lady who netted him out of his tank (he bit her yesterday :lol: ), and sulking in a bucket for a short while, he settled in quickly and looks very much at home in his spacious new quarters. He's around 18 - 20 cm long, and a very striking pumpkin-gold colour.

His tank is furnished with 10mm gravel and some river rocks of various sizes.

I love the name (Roy O) :lol: He's such a great colour, too. I looked at red tigers at the LFS, but none of them had such brilliant colour as your Roy. I was tempted to call Ollie 'Kokoschka', but decided that was too precious (besides being a bit of a mouthfull!)

He's gorgeous Najina such a vibrant orange! I love the intensity of the colour in his lower jaw. Bruce is gentle giant or maybe he's decided to be a vegetarian :lol: It's kinda sad that Roy won't stay the intense black he is now.. the contrast with his colours atm is stunning. He changes colours with his moods though. Sometimes the black fades out to an olivey-green type colour that I assume is close to what he will be when he's an adult but other times (like food time) he's that intense juvinile black.

I know what mean about them changing colours depending on their moods. Our guy can go to a shimmering silver sometimes. And other times all his fins can turn jet black. Now this does not happen over days or hours, but can occur is just seconds. :lol: Really amazing to watch. Najina

the smallest tank for a single O is 55g. Thats no tank mates in there though. If you wanted to go to 75g you could have a tank mate or two for him though. Cories aren't a good option for tank mates since sooner or later the O is going to try and chow down on them and cories have those spines that can get stuck in the mouth/throat and cause damage. Pretty much anything that can fit in his mouth is going to end up dinner. Severums, large plecos and clown loach's are supposed to be ok.

There is a more detailed list of compatable tank mates here on Oscarfish.com

:lol: WOW...they are gorgeous O's... Yeah...I too am HOOked on my O... I paid 10 bucks for Oz as well... Such temperamental fishies...but Oz loves me and even dances for me now..well I call it dancing...he shakes his head at me...I noticed him copy me one-day as I was telling him he couldnt have anymore food...LOL... and now he does it often :D You can just about see him growing and as he grows his appetite is increasing.... I cant wait til he is as huge as those 2 big-boys you guys have posted...they are so amazing! Ozz has toys he plays with now after he had eaten his way thru several tankmates :D and then gone off to sulk for a day or two... My brief experiences with tankmates and O's... :) Sad but true... as soon as he discovered that neons fitted in his mouth he hunted them down... one by one they went AWOL :) ...but they were the BAD neons that had eaten my fave bettas last year so I wasnt exactly devastated... 3 in one-day was a bit much for him to stomach though and he got green-peas for dinner which fixed the ummm blockage or potential blockage and filled him up for dinner when he probably didnt need anymore food that day!,,,kinda like lettuce for tea!

LOL

55g? Tell us ur not going USA on us here Mousie :D :D

that would be a 3ft right? I was looking at that site not to long ago, and the long finned O's :) :) I WANT :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! nooooooo I find that one is a no win question. If I answer in L I get asked how many G.. or it goes the other way around. I should say both the first time around :lol:

vicki's converstion tools are AWESOME btw! You'll find them over on the left hand menu in the Main Menu box ;)

Archived