Oscars - Who Keeps Them & Info Please

Figure_8

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

We have been searching the "quokka" for a nice big tank for Ozz and scored a six-footer for a fair price... Its busy being cycled etc in readiness for him to move into...Hubby is very impatient and wants to pop Ozz in there straight away but I cracked a wobbly and said he couldnt go in yet cos the water isnt right for him just yet... I think hubby would be one to pop new fishies in tap water....somehow he seems to think all water is equal :welcome:

Posted ImageOKies...

Ozz is in his 6 footer.... :goodo: ...

he is over his initial temper-tantrum of being moved :((

and now he follows us across the room...quite funny!

the kids have discovered if you wave his red container of fish food in front of him he gets all excited and dances madly...last night Matt held it above the water and he jumped up to eat it,,,grrrr!...told the kids NOT to teach him to jump! actually he dances madly if he sees anything that looks like his food container which is bright red...so I think he sees in colour! amazing! I always assumed fish were colourblind ....

Ozz did try take a bite out of one of those floating glass fishies so I removed that immediately...I had forgotten he thinks everything is food :scared:

The silly snails have laid another clutch of babies in Ozz's tank so I will move them into a separate tank cos I have a buyer for the snails. And this gutz doesnt need to eat them. I am charging up the batteries so I can post a piccy of him...he is SOO big now compared to when we got him...

And he poses for the camera now!...LOL!!!

Someone I know owns an oscar, but I really feel sorry for the poor thing because I've spoken to the owner and it appears he knows little about fish needs. This oscar lives with a large goldfish in a non heated tank and the owner uses plain tap water to make water changes. I don't know what I can say to convince him to at least use water ager apparently this poor fish has been living in those conditions for years and is one of the few survivors of his owners method of keeping fish. Unfortunately I don't know much about oscars apart from I've heard they soil the water alot and can be agressive towards smaller fish. There was a really nice longfinned albino oscar I wouldn't have minded adopting a while back, I wish I had more space to put a big tank in :thumbs: .

• 2 weeks later...

Winter is on its way again and the Perth plague of portugese milipedes is once again becoming a problem. One of the main problems with them is that nothing will eat them. They aren't poisonous, and are actually quite nutritional, but they taste bad. Nothing will eat them?? obviously nobody asked the oscars what they think! He goes mental as soon as he sees any on the walls near his tank. He's just eaten 4 for breakfast yum yum! :photo:

Oh.. fyi Brisvegasnites thinking of getting an oscar. Pet City in Mt Gravatt, had a tank of stunning tigers, 2 in particular caught my eye. The red were so red and the black.. like darkest night. And they were only $10!!! Nam had to fight me tooth and nail to bring at least one back. Not sure if they're still there but even the albino tigers were looking mighty fine.

They are fantastic fish. Roy scared the hell out of me yesterday during feed time. I got distracted for a second and there was this almighty *THUMP*. Roy had gotten sick of seeing my hand hovering over the tank and taken matters into his own fins. He'd lept out of the water and slammed into the glass top! (about 5 inchs because I was part way through a wc). I was lucky. If he'd aimed a little closer to the front of the tank he would have gone land diving as the front glass section was off because I was feeding him.

Here are our two, we don't know what they are but by the way they get along they are either a pair or 2 girls. We have had them about 9 months now so they are probably just a year old (about 4-5cm when we got them). Still growing.

Posted Image

How old do they need to be before they breed?

Cheers

Deb

healthy fishies :) speaking of health issues.. my dopey fish has two lovely gashes on his head from where he hit the glass yesterday. He must have hit the very edge of the glass. I didn't think he was injured at the time - it certainly didn't look like it, but tonight the skin is peeling away :) On close inspection it looks like the skin is peeling away from the outer edges of the injury site, and quite likely by tomorrow he will have one long cut rather than two. I've added melafix and salt to the tank in hopes of keeping infections at bay. :(

Melafix to the rescue! I'm treating a 4ft tank so its costing me a fortune, but over the last three days, one side has almost completely healed and the other side that was more than just surface injury is no longer what I would call a gash or cut. I've also got a fairly high dosage of salt in the tank because the side that was cut was fairly deep. If he keeps going the way he is he should heal with very little scarring :) I've given him a very long talking to about the evils of greed but so far he has chosen not to listen - typical Oscar :blush:

:lol: glad to hear he's getting better Mousie :) Is a 3ft tank alright for an O or how long can one be kept in there for (starting from baby size )? as once I sell a cple more males I'll have an empty 3 ft. If I can't have an O in there, I guess It'll just have to b a female tank until more males come by :lol:

Thanks Phil.. I was very cross with him for a couple of days :lol: its recommended that you don't go under a 4ft for a single O. They grow about an inch a month for the first few months, so they would outgrow a 3ft really rapidly. Roy is about 14cms now. Plus they are messy little so & so's (messiest fish I've ever had!) & really hard on the water conditions.

• 2 years later...

I used to have a HUGE oscar, he was nearly 30cm long, a beautiful albino owe. I loved him, one of the best personalities i have had in fish. I rescued him from a friend who didnt want him anymore, he had the massive fellow in a standard 9L bucket with airstone so i decieded my 2ft tank was better than that! I eventually felt sorry for him a few months later and took him to the petshop to be sold to someone with a bigger tank. My little brother thougth it would be cool to wriggle his finger at the surface pretending to be a worm, the oscar jumped out the water and swallowed his whole thumb then dropped back in, it was one of the most funny things i have seen :)

i started out with 2 large oscars 1 30cm and the other 27cm i just loved them one day after work i got a call to save them fast as my 3yr old boy thought they might be thirsty and poured a whole 3lt bottle of milk in the 3' tank!!! :flex:

i cried as the big one died in my hands the next morn while trying to clean the milky film off him in the help tank..

I used to have a HUGE oscar, he was nearly 30cm long, a beautiful albino owe. I loved him, one of the best personalities i have had in fish. I rescued him from a friend who didnt want him anymore, he had the massive fellow in a standard 9L bucket with airstone so i decieded my 2ft tank was better than that! I eventually felt sorry for him a few months later and took him to the petshop to be sold to someone with a bigger tank. My little brother thougth it would be cool to wriggle his finger at the surface pretending to be a worm, the oscar jumped out the water and swallowed his whole thumb then dropped back in, it was one of the most funny things i have seen :)

i started out with 2 large oscars 1 30cm and the other 27cm i just loved them one day after work i got a call to save them fast as my 3yr old boy thought they might be thirsty and poured a whole 3lt bottle of milk in the 3' tank!!! :flex:

i cried as the big one died in my hands the next morn while trying to clean the milky film off him in the help tank..

With the number of us with Oscars here maybe we need to add a special OZZY section :flex:

Deb

excellent notion!! my big oscar(yes that is his name..) was laying on the bottom of the tank this morn, with his smaller friend next to him carressing him and shaking that tail fin!! my hubby and i freeked as he looked dead but he got up after about 5min fine!! they like to sleep in their bed!! so cute!!

My Tiger Oscar Logan is growing so fast! I can't beleive just 6 months ago he was just a little bit bigger than a tiger barb and now he's big enough to eat them (and did last week). I've noticed he's getting bigger and more beefy..like muscular and man can he bang around in that tank now. He decided to head butt it the other day and gave me a hell of a fright! I think by the end of the year he should be full grown. I'm considering getting him a tank mate but at this point I'd be concerned with him devouring it!

I've got 2 Oscars now, Ozzy the red oscar and Diablo the albino red oscar, I got Ozzy when he was like 2 inches long from nose to end of tail, he's getting a bit bigger than that now!, Had one close call with him when he was hungry and I took the top off to drop the food in, it's like he locked eyes with me and just leaped! and i mean he JUMPED right outta the water... took me a good few minutes to find the bugga... all covered in dust and crap lol... threw him back in he's fine :flex:

then I saw Diablo in the LFS and thought he was such a cutie... so I thought he might live with Ozzy... they were fine for a few days but then Ozzy decided he didn't like Diablo anymore so started to pick on him... Had to take the poor thing out so now he's in a breeding net in my girly tank.

i have a 30cm red oscar in my 3ft tank. he also is housed with my gold spot pleco.

ive had him since he was 5cm. ive had him a year.

he feeds on pellets and feeder guppies once every 3 days.

they grow rapidly and you really need to feed them alot.

if you start early you can train him to eat from your fingers.

i started as soon as i go him and he learnt in 2 weeks....

my mum even pats his side when he is feeding.

Archived