Red Ramshorn Eggs?

paul

i grew a ramshorn snail from a baby. like i considered squeezing him on the wall but i never though he would grow to his current size. like i thought i would get more out of the snails in my tank but only 1 got big...i like him he's unique.

Simon

Sure are.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=blue+ramshorn+snail&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=RXLyT_yeNeaYiAfvzNjeAw&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=SXLyT_KsC5DqmAXsj_CwBg

http://www.google.com.au/search?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&authuser=0&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pink+ramshorn+snail&oq=pink+ramshorn+snail&gs_l=img.3..0i24.19492.21844.0.22284.8.8.0.0.0.0.282.1169.0j1j4.5.0...0.0.vGq5pe57VSI

http://www.google.com.au/search?um=1&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&authuser=0&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=white+ramshorn+snail&oq=white+ramshorn+snail&gs_l=img.3..0i24.18939.21187.0.22120.9.9.0.0.0.2.427.1427.0j1j3j0j1.5.0...0.0.0qQEeKpSmCM

• 3 weeks later...

I want to know how do you keep the numbers down? I seem to see one on this day and 2 days later I see 20 and the population explodes! I try to lore the snails with food then scope snails out of my shrimp tank as often as I can and I still see heaps of snails. I can't put fish in there to kill them or use chemicals. How do you keep the numbers down?

Hey Joan, I don't think I'm terribly snail friendly... I had three of these. One died about two weeks ago, one diasppeared at around the same time, one died a few days back. I haven't seen any snails orbabysnails in the tank. The one that was left was the one that had the eggs on it's shell, but as I said.. no babies seen. Will have to wait and see what happens.

I guess keeping numbers down can be hard if there are no predators in the tank with plenty of greens and left over food. Maybe using the same techniques that you already are, but when the snail are most active (e.g. at night)... or setting snail traps.

I got some of these guys of a friend of mine and they look great in the tank. He said that he somtimes getts Bluish coulerd ones occurring with them but he squishes enything that isnt a desent red.

Cheers

Les

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I been hunting for a blue ramshorn for a few weeks now & only recently found out they're not allowed to get imported here :(

They are so pretty tho I really want one! Actually going subscape tomorrow to shop a red one, gonna try it out with my betta & see how it goes. I really need one for eating the fungusy gunk that appeares in my tank.

@Les, tell your friend to stop squishing the blue once! I guess it all over in WA so can't be shipped to here anyhow..

It's pretty funny he been killing them of since its the colour people seem to like :blush:

Ended up getting a red one yesterday & he has pooped all over the tank & now it looks like I'm getting algae spots on the glass, not sure what's that all about..

Anyhow my betta completely ignored it, they even had a hanging out moment under the same anubias leaf next to each other but no aggression so I'm almost hoping to try out some cherry shrimps in there as soon my plants grown in a bit. Yay!