Cheap Heaters?

Lilly

So I need a couple of heaters, and I'm wondering if you guys know of anywhere online that has good, cheaper brand heaters?

The AquaOne heaters have never let me down, but I'm just wondering if I can save a few bucks, or is it not worth the risk of fluctuating temperatures etc?

There are $7 cheapies on Ebay from Hong Kong, but lots of that stuff is really unreliable.

I have used the cheap ebay heaters in a couple of my tanks and haven't had a problem with them yet...The only thing is the thermometer in the heater may be a bit dodgy so must get a proper thermometer to know what temp it is for sure...Have a look at the stainless steel heaters, they have worked well for me so far. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130694557444?var=430067550836&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have not had problems with cheap heaters and I have over 60 running!!!

The only thing I warn you about (and I do this even if the heater costs over $70) to make sure you do not over do the wattage.

A large wattage heater if stuck will cook the fish in a short time, but a smaller wattage heater in the same water volume of water might take days and there is plenty of time to notice the change in the fish behavior.

I find in large tanks it is better to have two smaller wattage heaters (eg 2x 150W) than one large one (eg 300W).

I have been buying my heaters from aquariumproducts website, though they have stopped selling some of the ones I have bought in the past.

Though also keep in mind I do not try to heat my tanks above 22C in winter.

Hey Lisa and everyone

I can get Resun Heaters for you for the following

This is approved in NSW. The approval number is NSW21096

http://www.resun-china.com/en/Products.aspx?Pro_ClassID=136&Pro_ClassName=HEATER%20AND%20CHILLER&PPro_ClassID=137&PPro_ClassName=Sunlike%20Shatterproof%20Heater

25W $20

50W $21

150W $22

200W $23

250W $24

300W $25

I'm the same, Steph. :/

That's true, Busman. I suppose I should just go and grab some from the LFS, especially considering someone is sending the new fish on Monday, so I won't really have time to have any sent from Hong Kong or similiar now. Just trying to save a buck where I can :D

Thanks heaps for the link, Chi. They sound promising, I'll do a search on the smaller ones and probably get one to give it a shot.

Thanks KillieOrCory, I had a look at the site. Unfotunately their $15 ones are 100w and I need 25w or 50w. Good advice, too. I'll remember that. :) Thankyou.

Great Prices, Davo. I'll remember you for next time when I'm not in a rush.

Edited by Lilly

serious I wouldn't risk it. To save a few bucks in the past I have being buying second hand good brand heaters and they're around the same price as the cheap ones and I'm confident they have less chance of stop working than the cheap ones.

There is also the bigger picture in all of this.

You can save a few $ here and there on all sorts of stuff (I know it can save big $ at times) but we all need the LFS to remain open otherwise our hobby will become extremely difficult. There are lots of benefits from being in close with your LFS, including good discounts on products. The only way you get in good with them is to be a regular customer and SPEND money. If you don't, they go broke and close.

Once I have found a good LFS, I am happy to pay an extra $5 on a heater , have a good talk with the staff and a poke around. It's enjoyable. And I feel like its my way of supporting my local.

A bit of topic I know but I know of at least two GOOD aquariums that have closed in the last few years and all of these little things contribute.

@Lilly if you are after a 25w you can get them from ebay for like $7. I have purchased a few just search 25w aquarium heater and you should see. They seem to be working no probs as yet. They are small like 15cm -20cm so can fit in any tank/barrack.

Edited by Chi

Just had a new aquaone fail on me not saying they are bad... I have 3 others working fine, but yeah bit unhappy about it but it happens I'll take it back.

Also in case anyone was thinking of those little marina mini heaters... I would stick to a normal type of heater those little 10w heaters only heat 3-4c above room temp even in a 2L container I was pretty dissapointed the thermostat cuts out at 23c not 26c like advertised. Heard the same since from other people they might be ok in spring or a cool summer spell... is room temp was low 20's

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chris, that is helpful. :) I don't think I have a Hydro Shop near me (that's what you get for living in a small, coastal town) but I'll remember that for when I'm next in Melbourne or something.

I've purchased one of those $6 heaters from HongKong to try out, too- so I'll let you guys know how I go with it.

Water vapor usually appear inside the cheaper heaters but they still work fine, start to worry when you notice air escaping from the inside of the heater (bubbles, this means water is filling the heater).

Edited by Chi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news on how these heaters perform?

Which ones are you talking about in particular? The ebay ones seem to work fine now for me it has been 3 months now, the only problem is the glass ones tend to arrive cracked and broken in the post (refund is issued though), so look for the stainless steel ones, they are pretty good.

I'm currently using an Eheim branded one (from Fishy Business) as well as a generic Chinese heater which I bought from the sadly closed Blackburn Aquarium. Both are working very well although the generic one I've only had since the start of winter.

I have also used the Marine Master branded one from BigW, those were the absolute worst. They fluctuate and simply cannot hold a constant temp, period. I thought I had a bad one by chance, so I bought another one and it was the same thing.

I got ATMAN 25W and 300W heaters from HK, they work just fine...

but having said that... RESUN heaters are well known amongst my friends..

I think someone was selling them in SYD for $20 - 300W

Edited by REDFISH

• 5 months later...

I have been using the 25w glass hong kong heaters I got them for $5 originally to keep as backups in case I needed a spare but have been using them all the time the brand is Xylong they come with a plug adaptor and in retail box Ive had no problems so far temp seems stable. The thing that annoyed me was I had another heater won't say what brand except it's German... and not cheap fail in a very epic way a few weeks ago and kill an equally expensive fish.

I have an aquaone that has algea growing on the inside if the glass that still works too.

Sarah