Marine Master tanks from BIG W ?

luv_my_fish

Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tanks?

I thought it would be a good idea to buy one every fortnight until I had enough for all of my bettas. The one I have is the 'Trainee 15ltr'.

Also, these came with it, but I'm not sure what they are for? :blush:

2012-01-18154859.jpg

The tank also isn't as good as I originally thought...it doesn't even have a glass lid! It is just this plastic thing that sits on top <_<

Thanks!

Thanks Paul!

Well that just adds to how silly the tank really is because there is no hood or light...there is not even a proper lid!

As for the balls, it came with a filter...do the balls go in there somehow or something?

Damn! I thought I was onto a good thing here...will need to look for a different type of tank as I'm not happy with this one...

This is the tank...

2012-01-18160812.jpg

It only came with the filter, a plant and a net...oh and the plastic lid! I can't see where those 'extras' are meant to be used? There were no set up instructions either (not that I needed them, but it would have been nice to know instead of this face :confused: )

You would almost get a real tank of 10 to 15 litres from a decent aquarium store for that price if you negotiated a deal for multiple items over a period of time.....

Re the tank you mentioned - the net is probably the only piece I would consider keeping.... the tank glass is VERY thin (no good for me but if you're careful you won't have any breakages), the lid doesn't stop jumpers, the plastic plant is plastic.... Personally, I hate those plastic backgrounds.... AusAqua is a better beginners guide to fish.... and the filter is not worth having (need multiple power points for multiple tanks).....

If I bought these tanks I would throw the filters and set up an air pump and put a decent sponge filter in each tank, and decorate it using a real plant.... get a 4ft light to cover multiple tanks.... use decent gravel not painted department store gravel.... and if the net is a coarse mesh I'd ditch it and get a fie mesh net.... and get someone to cut a glass lid or a perspex lid that fitted each tank.... and I'd paint the backs of each tank a nice blue or black ..... just the thoughts of a madman :)

fishbites - I agree with you 100%! I am not keen on this tank at all. I mentioned to my hubby that it would be a good idea to buy a tank every fortnight, so he picked it up and bought it. I won't be getting anymore though.

I too hate plastic plants, but it came with it so I thought 'why not'?. You can see that I don't have any fish in there yet, and I'm not planning on putting any in either. I may just buy another sponge filter and use it as a spawn tank?

As for price, I live in Perth where EVERYTHING is overpriced! I would probably never buy a tank from an LFS over here, although the classifieds aren't much cheaper either!

I may just stick to my original plan and not buy anymore tanks as we are hoping to move. We were hoping to be out of here mid this year, but that isn't going to happen...maybe next year.

You could always get a collection of these.... I have some as backup tanks for bettas when i need them..... sized go from 1litre right up to about 15l or more.....

TM1001.13.23.33.43.128_KK.jpg

They'll stack easily too....

Edited by fishbites

What a load of slap...

Originally ....when I thought I was only ever going to have 8 fish (what the?) I bought 8 of these gradually, and couldn't have regretted it more.

At $30 a pop it didn't hurt over time, but now I have a collection of useless 9 litre tanks, they're a beyatsh to clean, water change, heat and filter = FAIL

Personally, I think for the amount of alteration you'll have to make - you'd be better off just investing in a larger barracks system and biting the bullet.

From my experience....

Have a look at the tanks I bought from KMART

image.jpg

They are the ones on the left in my set-up.

IMG_1914-1.jpg

Dimension are 22x26x36 approx 20L filled to the brim but more like 18lt. They are/were $29ea

I find they are a very useful size. It comes with filter, gravel, plastic plant and net! I only use the net, the rest is stored somewhere.

I find these are a good tank for what they are.

Ooooh I like those Kmart ones! I'll have to have a look next time I'm there.

killieorcory - I wouldn't use the gravel or plant either, but can I ask why you don't use the filters? Do you just prefer sponge ones? BTW :drool: to your setup!!

Les - Thanks I'll have to try there too. I want all (or most) of my tanks to look uniform which is why I was going to buy all the same ones. How is your glass tank making going? No breakages or cuts? :giggle:

If I can't find what I'm looking for, I may have to get you to make some for me seeing as though you are a professional at it now and all :DB-)

Thanks everyone! I knew I shouldn't have got it! Oh well...another spawn tank it is!! :D

I've got some of those Kmart tanks too and they're great.

I also don't use any of the accessories that come with it, but the actual tanks are great. I did try the filters initially, but I found that they weren't particularly effective, and one of them, no matter how much I tried to rinse it, every time I put it in a tank with any fish the fish would die within hours, it clearly had some sort of toxin in it that didn't wash out easily. As a consequence that filter is the first thing to go in the bin if I buy any of those.

Ooooh I like those Kmart ones! I'll have to have a look next time I'm there.

killieorcory - can I ask why you don't use the filters? Do you just prefer sponge ones? BTW :drool: to your setup!!

I use a large air pump to run over 70 sponge filters in my tanks. I find this is the most effective and cheap to run way of filtering the number of tanks I have.

And thank you. I am really happy with my current set-up.

I use the Kmart ones too and like the others, the filters/gravel/plant gets dumped. I keep the net. I throw in a 25w heater and a sponge filter. Then make up a plastic canvas divider and taadaa you have the 'hilton suite' for two! I have 2 tanks per shelf, 6 tanks per rack.

I currently use the aqua one LED light but I am not completely happy with them. Thinking of going with the 3' across several tanks idea. You should have see the look the sparky gave me when I told him I need at least 36 power points!