3ft Makeover.

Fletch

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked this tank closely this morning and wow, I am in trouble. Val is sending runners shooting all over the middle of the tank and the swords are going nuts. I took the back mural off the tank and it now gets a few hrs of sunlight. No algae troubles in this tank. Rummynose look fantastic, lots of color. Lost a few fish in the start (only have one Angel left :-( ) but all look very happy now.

Very happy with this tank. Will clean up tomorrow and trim LOTS of weed out before it becomes a hassle. :-)

Its not surprising you are getting great growth, in the first couple of months I have found growth is similar to that of many tanks injected with CO2, make sure you let the mulm acuamulate as the substarte only has a limited amount of carbon, you add this to the tank via fishfood, the mulm decomposes into CO2 and many other essential nurtients.

If you want to avoid loosing fish next time I would add lots of zeolite, if you add it to teh canister it sucks up amonia while th bacteria colonise it, its a good bio media after that. I add it to my substrate. Or keep the fish in a cycled tank. The first few weeks of the substarte being submerged are very turbulent, many nutrients leach out while the ecology develops.

Will you be replacing the angels?

Someone has to say it..... Where are the photos? *lol*

Great to hear it is all going great guns, even though the val is taking over :D

All you people with angels and bettas... You know I have wanted angels since forever, but was too chicken to go against the rulebook and put them in the same tank. Well, I am almost ready to throw caution to the wind and get some. I'm feeling reckless and ready for some extreme fishkeeping :rofl:

Thanks Sarah. I have just compared old shots to the new ones and the growth is amazing. Funny that it was only 3 weeks ago (almost), it feels a lot longer.

Totally blown away to be honest and am amazed I haven't killed it all.

Ps, have no Java Moss left alive in ANY tanks. Lol.

Lol. That's a pile of rocks with a cave and tunnel. Peppermint dug out under large rock and lives there.

I do agree it's in the wrong spot but I moved it so many times I just left it. Now it's growing, I don't want to disturb the substrate by pulling it up (these have long roots don't they?) so my idea is to keep it trimmed. Hopefully it will send out a runner and I will use that in a better position, then cut this one out once I am sure I don't need it.