3ft Makeover.

Fletch

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you are referring to as the bacterial bloom Sarah? Sorry, I am a bit slow with these things, is it the gasping of the fish or the milky appearance of the water??

Since co2 was turned off, fish have improved. I was THINKING that I saturated the water overnight with it. As the tank was completed late arvo with 100% fresh water and then co2 hooked up, there might already have been co2 in the water and the plants didn't have long enough to use enough before lights out......does this make sense???

Then with the added stresses of the move, that's why I lost two neons and two rummynose.

As for the milky water, not sure what the go is with this. Both tanks did the same, small tank took three days with no filter, big tank two days with canister filter running and the tank is crystal clear.

The fish now look ok. They seem a bit skittish and not there full color or normal behavior but I think it may be the fact that there is a lot less weed and cover plus the tank is so much brighter now, I think mainly due to the white substrate.

Any thoughts???

The milky water could have been a bacterial bloom.

I honestly don't think you could have gassed them with a waterchange and diy, people use much higher amounts of CO2 and do waterchanges and don't expeieince that.

What did you do with the filter during the waterchange? I'm thinking the bacteria you removed in all those plants and teh gravel caused a small ammonia spike which the filter soon took care of. Rummynose are very sensitive to ammonia. If you didn't run the filer on a tub or something the bacteria could have starved, they begin to die off at 4 hours. Or if you left it shut they quickly run out of oxeygen as well.

I placed a small tank on a coffee table beside main tank. Fill small tank from main tank then transferred the inlet and outlet of the filter to the small tank before I caught fish to avoid sucking up the rubbish. Filter was off for 1 min, max.

Hey Busman Paul

At least its back on track now I am in with Pyerfly on a bacterial bloom with new water and cloudyness but I am as new as you are to Aqua plants LOL this is like murder in the dark SCARY a whole new frontier

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Cheers

Lestrecky

Was worried about this tank as the same algae that plagued my other tank was showing in this one. The plants also were not doing much.

I reconnected co2 wed, started using Dino Spit and Pee and the algae has all but gone.

Plants were pearling last night which was a first for this tank. Also got some new chain sword and a pot of crypts, some hornwort plus cuttings from Shadoh.

On a whole, very happy now it's growing. :-)

a86de5c5.jpg

8dc9df41.jpg

7e702f75.jpg

I still have a crush on the white angel - but I'm supposed to be looking at the tank!

It's got a really nice arc / to the right with the plant heights etc, have you tried it with one of those black backgrounds instead of the plant backgrounds?

I'm a bit of a subscriber to those, somehow makes it look a bit more modern?

But the hardscape is really nice too - don't let it get lost up the back there!

Looks really nice - who needs a TV eh?

Thanks Ness. It's taken awhile for the fish to settle as the tank is a lot brighter and less plants now.

Most plants doing well now. Even some I thought were dying in other substrate due to lack of light, seem to be growing now. I did notice lots of pearling when the sunlight was on the tank, it shines in for about 2-3 hrs, first thing in the morning. Due to this, I was thinking about removing back cover on the tank all together. Only problem then is you can see the curtains through the tank. :-(.

As a whole, very happy at this stage.

Some examples of the surprises with the plants.

I bought this one of someone. Loved the plant but it melted in the tank before the makeover. Thought that it wasn't getting enough light and would not survive this time either. I think it's coming back. I really hope so. :-).

d398acd5.jpg

I got these off Jarrod and to be brutally honest, I was not impressed by the look of it (out of water) and almost threw it out. now I love it. Can't wait to be able to take some trimmings and spread it around.

d24fd14a.jpg

Got this Lotus off Matt. It has been moved four times since I have owned it and it just keeps growing. First but definitely not my last Lotus. :-).

9e2e2405.jpg

Still have not done a wc on this tank. Hasn't required it. Will do one over the next few days. All Rummynose look good and they are usually the best indicator if something is not right with the water. When there face pales out, I reach for the test kit. :-)

The one you got of someone, it's Myriophyllum mattogrossense right?

The lotus is going well, I should hopefully have a red for you soon, they seem to take longer to propagate though. I absolutly love lotus, I'm looking for a tri-colour at the moment.

Has the Rotala wallachii been growing for you? It's a high light plant.