3ft Makeover.

Fletch

Today was the day. Took my 3ft community tank completely apart (other than filter :-)), scrubbed out and replaced all substrate. Feel very happy with the results and after 8 hrs with no lunch, I better be happy. :-).

Before.

718dc8f9.jpg

Now. Fish just released and still stressed.

Full tank.

2f1f0e83.jpg

Left side.

0439cd3c.jpg

Right side.

db31e0f8.jpg

Can't believe how much weed I had left over. Threw out a good bucket, mostly java fern and Val. Much less chaotic now.

What do you think?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayne. :-).

@Matt......thanks, hopefully this one will be ok. I am aware of the bubbles coming out of the sand but I am pretty sure the Java Fern and Val are both Pearling. I do have my DIY co2 hooked up and the tank is 100 times brighter, so would this be right Matt?

This morning I have fish gasping on the surface. I have disconnected the co2. Water looks milky which doesn't worry me as my last tank cleared up in about 3 days. Not sure about the gasping but I will keep an eye on em.

Could be mate. Makes sense. This tank is now ment to produce it's own co2 so maybe I have saturated the water overnight. It's was only connected as it was still going from the tank before the upgrade and I thought I might as well attach it. Maybe I shouldn't have. :-(.

I haven't poked the substrate at this stage.

Tank clearing up tonight. Had to move the tunnel out as the male bristlenose was digging so deep I was worried he would upset BB below. Lost a few fish today. Think it was the stress with the gasping this morning. A few others red around the gills so looks like I burnt em (co2 again?) so will lose a few more I think. Was prepared to lose a few. Big change in short period.

As a whole, all going well.

I don't think CO2 burns, it just suffocates them, could it have been ammonia? Alot of the nitrifying bacteria are in the substrate, on the plants and wood ect, could it have been that while the bacteria in te efilter multiplied to handle the load?

Never cleaned the filter out so filter should be fine. All wood and rocks were in the tank before. From half hour after co2 was disconnected, the fish improved. No fish look sick or gasping now but not as active as usual. Haven't tested ammonia yet but don't see the need, at this stage.

I did expect to lose fish. Doing a huge stressful move, twice in one day, plus new tank and 100% wc and taking into account we are talking about tetras, you will lose a few every time. :-).