Can males have a white 'egg' spot too?

mumofthehoarde

I am just wondering if males can have that white 'egg' spot tube thingy too

I have two females which I am wondering about. A bluey coloured dragon which I wouldnt mind breeding with has been so bossy in the sorority that I have removed her and gave her her own tank. She beats the crap out of everything...betta or otherwise.

The other has always been a spawn tank with a plastic canvas barrier between her and her guy. Today we had a storm coming in so I put them together. I quickly put him back because she attacked harder then my plakat ever could. My plakat started off a girl in my sorority and then turned out to be a boy and is now my toughest fish in the house, attacks hands, bugs and other fish if he could get near them. He jumped a barrier and beat my 'milky way kid' nearly to death one night.

Both definately have the white dot thingy underneath.

Lucky I saw this thread I was about to ask the exact same question. Came home to find what I thought was my male giant with an egg spot.

IMG_0446.jpg

I am now wondering if this why I am having so much trouble spawning them.

HI MOTH

HI MOTH

I bought a pair of AB and the saposed female turned out to be a male this fish had fooled the breeder and myself I remember Jodie also saying that the girl was quite small so to every one it seemed like a girl egg spot and all. This fish took a submisive female posture when I tried to mate him with his brother but on seperating them he started to blow a nest and the egg spot disapeared.

I supose in the wild this could be an advantage to the less mature males until they develop enough to hold there owen. nature has a funny way of working things out

Cheers

les

Side shots

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

If it is the case of me having two females it will make sense as to why no matter what I have done these two have no interest in breeding.

Sorry to have taken over your thread MOTH.

Edited by Sha

Sha, side on in those photos, the fish looks more male than female to my eye.

I've had a giant female who turned out to be male before, but not the other way around... It is possible for a male to have an "egg spot". In show fish, this is classed as a fault and points are deducted from the males final score.

Side shot I would have to agree with Jarrod as it gives an overal image of the carriage of the fish. I was going to say about the show side and egg spots but I thought it was disqualification so glad I didnt comment

Cheers

Les

I am now concerned that I have two males both with egg spots after the latest spawn attempt.

Below are a few photos of the smaller of the two giants.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

This attempt was more like a full on battle between two males rather than a courtship with both flaring and attacking one another.

Anyone able to advise if they think I may have two males on my hands.

Last pic IMO is a girl so I would say dont stress. From my coraspondance with a Giant breeder I have been told to aproach there matting as you would any normal size matting but make shore she is conditioned proply and that you are not mistaking waight gain for roe prodution. If they get fat they dont like matting

Cheers

Les

Why are you medicating them? AIL in spawn tank works wonders and a girl can handel it rough if she is in top condition, she didnt seem to be sporting anything seriouse in the pic. Personaly I dont use meds unless it is seriouse and I have used up all other natural means. My girls come out of spawning(Combat) and are placed in a small tank wich is heaverly AIL and are given grindel worms on the first day on the second day black worms on the therd day serority and there tears and nips are healed quickly and the only resone they are isolated for two days is for observation.

Cheers

les

Edited by les

I am medicating all my fish tanks at the moment. My little flame crowntail picked up velvet from something so I am being over protective and hitting all my tanks, even though they are all on seperate filters and the water does not mix, just in case. I have a sneaky suspicion it came in on a plant I picked up from a dodgy LFS.

Sounds like me at one of my daoughters partys I was certain I was talking to a boy but it ended up being a girl (Champion shot put) go figer.

Thats is a good idea MOTH maby one of the Mods would consider it if there was enough intrest and it would stream line things a bit instead of threads all over general

Cheers

Les