Crazy?

Fletch

I have had an issue with a Red Rocket girl. She is huge and full of eggs. Everytime I have put her in a chimney or in a breeding tank with shared water the following happens.

My males are always healthy and happy (nest underway) before I introduce or uncard female. The male reacts normally and builds nest madly. She looks to be interested. She never shows vertical stripes or submissive behavior but not agro or scared either. Next day male submissive and hiding under IAL on floor of the tank. Recarded pair. Refused food and wouldn't show himself for two days. Then sat on surface for two days, fins clamped, not eating. Following day, normal cheeky self. what the?.

Thing is she has already killed two boys, one with velvet and other just went downhill from day three.

What makes this even stranger is I mentioned this to Shadoh, as I thought I was being silly as how can she kill the boys without touching them, and he confirmed he has had the same with a sister of this fish. The female has never got sick herself.

What do you think??? Is this even possible???? Is it just coincidence???? Am just interested if anyone has had this themselves or what's your thoughts???

I have a female like that. Two of the three fish she has shared a tank with have died of mysterious circumstances. She has never shown any sign of disease herself, and is a particularly aggressive female, attacking anyone who gets into her side of the tank - male or female.

At present the male in with her hasn't had any symptoms so I'm hoping it was just a freak occurrence.

In my case both females sharing her tank came down with weird bloating that looked like their abdomen was filled with fluid. No pineconing, just bloating around the stomach.

Very odd, shame you lost your males though.

Not sister. Mine is an orchid girl. I am thinking in my case it is some kind of depression since pulling him out of the spawn tank. He beat her within an inch of her life. She has healed, but now he is as you have described above and is off his food. I'd love to give them another go, but he is in no condition for it at the moment...

Oh, ok, sorry. :-).

My boy in with her at the moment has been looking good for a few days now. They have been in shared water the whole time. Will uncard again in a fewdays and see what happens. It's not like she is beating him up as she never has had physical access.

Hey Bussy,

While it's unlikely she's got some femmefatale curse, it's entirely possible that she is super duper alpha-mole.

Some ladies (human, aquarian, equine, canine, feline etc) just have that .....alpha beyatch energy.

Could that be enough to scare her suitors into stress positions and develop velvet/etc ?

Innnnnteresting

Ok. This is the boy that was hiding under the IAL a week ago. They are in the same tank, shared water. I uncarded him half an hour ago. Took this video now. Will leave them uncarded and see what happens.

I honestly thought this boy was as good as dead a week ago. I really am confused.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/ottobusman/orchids/8198d1da.mp4

My Nephew has informed me you can die of coodies Na just kidding

I think it could be a stress thing if she is super dominent one of my VT sisters killed a male he was beaten up but not enough to die but he still did I think the shock of being beaten by a girl was to much for him. I dont know of any viruses that can be carried and kill without killing the host

Cheers

Les

There are two small nests in the tank this morning. He is looking a little flat, not flaring as much.

She is just swimming around, happy as a pig in ........

No idea. Will leave them uncarded for the day. This is now an experiment. :-)

Just a thought Bussy... How have you kept the male? Has he been in shared water with other more dominant fish from when he was a juvenile? (there is evidence that states unjarred juvie males that are kept together have delayed testicular development and they produce more female sex hormones compared to isolated males) Has he shown aggressive behaviour when exposed to other males, or does he take the submissive role?

It might be that this girl is quite the dominatrix, but you also need to be mindful of the male's physical and hormonal status.

This boy is one of the best Red/Blue spawn I had. A real show pony. Always in barracks with boys and girls. Flared at anything. I put them in the tank, permanent divider, totally scrubbed clean with running sponge. Kept them carded for a week to settle. They have been in there since. When he went downhill, I carded them. Still shared water.

As stated though, this is male three. First was my pride and joy, my only Red Rocket boy. Second was my original black orchid male who was a fantastic breeder and father, he raised a huge spawn until week six!!!

I am now so intrigued by this whole thing, I will follow this through. Will monitor boy, if he goes downhill again, I will video changes. :-)

have the same problem with a female. I think i have a crossgende fighter of some sort. Kills males and very aggressive. Also when she is jarred by her self she goes about building little bubblenests. But i swear it is a female with male tendencies:-)Have stopped trying to breed with her.

This girl has never actually beaten a boy physically. That's what confused me.

After two days uncarded, he was going downhill and no change in her. I carded for 48hrs then uncarded them last night before bed. Nothing really happening this morning.

I put her in with him 10 mins before video was taken. The response was immediate. She GREW in front of my eyes. She clamped her fins and started to show breeding bars faintly. Not kidding, immediately.

Photo included. Video if anyone wants to see it. Think it is going to happen very quickly. :-).

6891dc70.jpg

Lol. Not you. ROFL.

Video one

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/ottobusman/orchids/439765a0.mp4

Two

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/ottobusman/orchids/61e13c6f.mp4

Never seen her behave like this. She is always full of eggs but she is just swelling. She will have to drop some before he has any chance of wrapping her. :-)