I have a problem :(

Matt_95

I have recently come to the conclusion that I cannot possibly breed my bettas as I cannot care for the fry once I have to jar them. I'm not aloud to set up a Barack system and since the tank I built for my males broke they have been in softdrink bottles with water changes every 2 days. I am having trouble keeping up with this small amount and I know I can't look after jarred fry :( does anyone have any helpful tips for me? The only think I can think off is to give away the males as they appaer but they will more than lickly be to small to pass on and sooner or later no one will want them. If anyone has any adice I would really appreciate if you would share it with me.

I will have a 3 foot tank I want to fill with females, I may just cull the males. I do have a few lines I want to achevive some results in, at what age can I pick their caudal spread? I would want to keep the best males of the spawn.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but something that came across me while I was reading about breeding them are that: males can be kept together at one tank if they have never ever separated from each other since birth. (I found it from one of those 'Yahoo! Answers' thing) However, once separated even once and briefly, they are going to start the war. But personally, I won't take the risk for now.

As females can live in sorority, your 3 fter should be good enough. :D

I have heard of that being the case with SOME males that are left with sisters (like my male that pretended it was a female for a year) but they are few and far between the norm is agression it would be silly to rely on that happening.

I would never keep the males together ever, I wouldn't risk it. Even if they don't fight the females can get nippy. I'll have to sleep on this, I still don't know what I will do. I'll be selling some excess males soon though.

replying on my phone, hope this works...Who says the need not be filtered? poke or drill tiny holes all though the bottles and place in heated/filtered tank. they can still be carded and will still need w/c less often but its a bit easier on you. I have a customer wintering his bettas with this method, he hasn't mentioned any issues. Except he uses a styrofoam box not a tank.

depends on bottle type, big ones you place a stone in to keep it upright, smaller bottles that tip you only fill the box/bottle half way or 1/3. The bottom is supposed to sink, only issue is keeping the bottles upright.

Oh.. lol. I thought you'd know better than to fill it to the top when there is bottles in there... ;P

Yeah, that's why I suggested he went with a foam box lol He keeps the lid on (loosely) when he's not looking at them and that helps a lot too.

It is a large planted tank, I'll move them back to the 2 foot tomorrow. *sigh* I didn't do any water changes for liek a week after my uncle passed away and My Black orchid has really badly curled rays :(

Matt, you can always make a platform to sit the bottles on like I did in my 4 footer. That way you can have low light plants growing underneath and taller, more light demanding plants growing up the other end. If you don't know what I mean, have a look at some of my photos...

Anyone using a foam box, make sure you use a liner in them. Took mine a couple of weeks to start leaking and another week or so to realize where the smell was coming from (wet carpet).....:-)