What to breed in a 2ft tank?

Bettarazzi

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to breed them all at once. If you put the dividers in, buy your first pair, let them breed, then spend a couple of weeks deciding what to breed next, throw them in the next partition and stagger your spawns that way - even if the fish look similar, you'll be able to tell the fry apart due to their size...

...sorry...I'm not here right now. Please leave a message at the beep...... *lol*

Have I really become that fish mad??? Wait... Don't answer that. Breed them all! Breed everything you can get your hands on! Don't wait! Do it NOW!!!!!

Razzi you could try some African mouth brooders - electric yellows or demasoni would be ok in a 2ft tank if you just had a few - waited for a spawn and stripped the eggs/fry - easy as.... and both species would be very resalable.... the fry are big enough to take finely crushed flake/pellets so no need for bbs some place the effort it takes.....

Good to see guys

Jarrod and Yan on one shoulder and Ness on the other

which angels of fortune will you follow and what side is the dark side Ya Ha HA

Just do it Razzi put them in the tanks feed them stimulus and let the spawning begin

Shiny Shiny badge precious Gollum Gollum LOL

Cheers

Les

PS This isnt helpfull realy but im getting a laugh out of it LOL

Perspective Ness. One 2 ft tank to other species, 22 tanks and 66 beanie boxes to bettas. Ok plus the 4 tanks taken up by guppies/endlers. But basically I've got my main betta breeding program, the guppies/endlers are secondary, and one solitary "badge" tank which will probably turn into the wild betta tank. My true calling still screams at me loud and clear. *lol* Had a couple of failed betta spawns this week. But that's not the reason. I just want the BADGE. The top level is 300 species. *lol*

Yep. Need lots of help. Send your relatives over to build me a proper fishroom. *lol* Then I won't have to restrict myself to one 2 ft tank. *lol*

I wonder if I can get away with passing off LFS mollies as different species: sailfin = P.vellifera, high finned = P.latippina, short fin = P.sphenops. Or will they say those LFS hybridised mutts are just considered the same species like the guppies with endler markings I got from Joan. *lol* Because if they accepted it then I could easily do 3 species of molly, guppies, endlers, platies, swordtails

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the nearest LFS yesterday and the livebearers were all odd looking and I also had trouble finding a matched pair. And they only had a single cacatuoides male. So I came home empty handed, stared forlornly at the empty tank, and before I realised what was happening all these super blue bettas moved in. I tried to tell them the space was reserved but they squeaked something about squatters rights.

It's alright. They'll soon tire of each others company and squabble amongst themselves. That's when I'll swoop in and evict them.

Aww, pity. I had a female cacatuoides until yesterday until someone picked her up because I need the tank to breed Bettas :blink:

The most common Apisto I have seen in Australia are agassizi, borelli and cacatuoides though.

Maybe you can try something like: Harlequin rasbora, Emperor tetra, Neon tetra, Congo tetra. Or maybe since you're familiar with Betta, how about other labyrinth fish? Gouramis maybe?

Apart from their difficulty to sex, their spawning setup is quite simple.

Razzzi

Please poke and prod your LFS ( that dosnt sound right but it is said in all sencerity)I would love to see some home grown goramies and the dwarfs are just throwable arnt they LOL

Cheers

Les

I didn't say which one because I can't remember!! lol..

I think maybe Pisces?

I don't think AI's are Australian bred ones..

Edited by fishbites
Removed a negative post about an aquarium supplier

Whether they are Aust bred or not - its not hard for a LFS to give them a call.... the contact I have there is very helpful and gives me advance info on wild type bettas in quarantine and she responds quickly too.. so to find out the fish's origins Razzi just get your LFS to call them... or email them like I do and they will respond I'm sure....

Either way - as long as you get male and females it doesn't really matter what country the fish were born in does it :)

No a pair is a pair. But I'd really like the classic old-fashioned ordinary dwarf gourami. They take me back to my very first aquarium which had dwarf gouramis, baby angels, and swordtails.

There's been a development. I went to the EDAS meeting tonight and came home with a trio of bristlenoses and 5 platies. I also shared a bag of swordtails with paulman which he's minding while I get some tanks cleaned. I actually have a 3 footer which I haven't factored in mainly because it's in another part of the house that I rarely go to. But I think I'll have to bring it back into action.