What to breed in a 2ft tank?

Bettarazzi

Just stating that imported ones we get are always unhealthy. I bought pair after pair after pair and couldn't fix a single one of them. I think we'll be switching over to australian bred only when we can because we've never had an issue.

bacterialinfection.png

Imported one with the start of a bacterial infection and skinny.

Sorry for thread hijack, lol.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yan, let it go... its not the wisest thing to bag a well recognised Australian wholesale supplier on a public forum about the quality of their product - especially when your employer is one of their customers....

Razzi.. a 3ft tank ... now you can really ramp up the breeding program :)

Divide the 3ft and with the 2ft you can have 3 spawns at a time with dwarf cichids or Bettas or anything else relatively small..... the likes of some shellies will keep their kids safe and raise them in a small cube (my hecqui live happily with their last spawn of `12 babies in a 15" cube).....

Do the species have to be separated? you could have a mix of livebearers in the one 3ft tank and that would work ok as long as the fry get to a survivable size they wouldn't be touched by any of the other species I'm sure...

Oh, bettarazzi, about dwarf gouramis, I saw a couple of them in Upmarket Aquariums today, 6.95 for female, 8.95 for male. But I have no idea if they are 'quality' fish or not as I am not familiar on what to look for the 'quality' gouramis.

Was going to rush over and have a closer look at the swordtails then remembered they're still at Paul's until I clean out the 3 foot. The 3 foot will be a good place for the livebearers. I could maybe put mollies and swords in there. And any extra fish that I don't need close by. My partner will be feeding the fish in this tank (I hope) so it can only contain fish that will eat dry food. It also can't be divided and has to be able to pass as a display tank. I'm ok with it being a crappy display tank. *lol*

I put some pics of the BNs and platies on Facebook. Let's see if the link works: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.222908024409685.63557.130620950305060&l=b11cb4a925

Oh, I found out that the different forms of molly are recognised as separate species, So I'm going to go ahead and call guppies that have Endler markings p.wingei. *lol* I don't think the 10 species is going to be sufficiently challenging if 7 of the entries are going to be livebearers. I think I need to aim for the 25 badge. *lol* I have an evil plan to reconfigure my shelf of 2 foots to put them side on. That way I can fit FOUR 2 footers on it. I got a big NO from the partner this morning. Not a simple no, but the long-winded, full of sarcasm and ridicule kind of no. But I reckon it was just bad timing. *lol* I'll get my way eventually.

There you go Razzi.... a friend asked me to breed these fish for them dear.... you don't mind now do you as its not for me..... :P

It may be a different answer if its not for your own selfish requirements - go on and set up the tank and blame Ness for it .... lol....

Ok Razzi

Tell your Partner Les said yes you can refiger your shelf Its your shelf and you will do what you like with that shelf If you want to burn it you will bern it but at the moment you want to refiger it "WAIT DONT DONT SAY THAT"

I so have you got the swords from Nes yet and when will you have made up your mind and srtarted breeding we will need pics of course as I think I am addicted to this thread Its like THE YOUNG AND THE TANKLESS LOL

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

ROFLMAO @ young and the tankless!! *lol* Did you click on the link to the pics on Facebook, Les?

Sailfin mollies are definitely on the breeding list. But you know you can never find what you want when you want it. Like the other day when I left the LFS without buying a single thing!! Anyway, I've got the bristlenoses and platies in there at the moment. I'm expecting to find things to breed at the Fish Fair. Trying to breed everything all at once is probably unwise. Next steps I think are to clean up the 3 foot, set up the other 2 foots, need to buy heaters and filters. And I really think I need to consider how to do water changes more efficiently. Can't be doing buckets with this many tanks. The tally in the whole fishroom (turning into a fish house) once all the tanks are set up are: 1 x 3 foot, 4 x 2 foot, 5 x 18 inch, 2 x 30cm cube, 1 x 10 ltr, 16 x 8 litre, that's 29 tanks which have to be individually water changed!! Cripes! I think I'm feeling tired already.

Lol. I feel so much better now. My seven seems nothing now.

My wife thinks I may have a problem and I need to talk to someone. I just use you as an example of people with a REAL problem. She does not see the funny side of this comment.

Is your room still free Jarrod, I may need somewhere to stay, will bring my seven tanks though. Lol.

LOL.... classic Les .... young and the tankless...... like water through the filter.... so are the fish of our lives......

Razzi the way this thread is going its starting to sound like you're on heat! Talking about "breeding lists" and "you never find what you want when you want it".... etc....

Just wait till you get a fish laying eggs or fanning eggs in a cave and you'll start getting cravings :P

I want these tanks to remain independent of each other rather than sharing water in case I decide to try something that needs slightly different water conditions. However plumbing the tanks so that they can be drained and filled without buckets would be really helpful. The tanks are next to an external wall so I could punch a hole for a pipe which could go out to the garden. IF I knew how to do this properly. LOL.

Hey Michael,

Well if you want to breed something quick you can borrow for aslong as u like my breeding pair of patoti's

The male holds for approx 2 weeks and will spawn again 2 weeks later and u can keep the fry in the same tank with them

The male just released a batch of fry again last night counted 15 with more still to be released

Hai

OH Razzi

You get distracted so easerly, whilst the forum chants "wheres the spawn logs" at this rate it will be christmass and i still wont have a badge (OH did i say I0 I ment you

Cheers

Les

Scouts houner DIB DIB DIB