What to breed in a 2ft tank?

Bettarazzi

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patoti are spawning but I reckon the fry are getting eaten. I'm sure I counted about 15 the day after they were released but can only find 5 now. The pair spawned again today. I need to do something about getting the parents out of there once the fry are released. I doubt any of the first batch of fry will still be around if the female keeps snacking on them.

The main breeder badge tank is getting completely overrun. There are lots of platy babies and bristlenose babies as well. But it's now severely overstocked and the baby BNs are not doing well. I've lost a lot of them. Using it as a holding tank for my male guppies is also not helping the overstocking situation. I have a plan on how I'm going to split the occupants up. I just have a fair bit of work to do to get there.

Hi Razzi

Can you strip the Patoti and place the eggs in an egg tumbler?

Also was thinking about your 2Ft tank when looking through Matt Giang s cataloge at aro aquatic he has external breeding houses that sits on the outside of the tank this might help a bit with the heavy stocking you experiancing at the moment I plan on getting a few for durring the summer so I can accomodate more fish anyway just a thought that might help

Cheers

Les

PS how long between Patoti spawns?

Edited by les

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I'm a long way away from the badge. I'm facing the problem now of raising the fry and trying to stop the parents from producing even more fry. So until I get rid of these I won't be able to move on to the next species.

What's in the tank? Lots and lots of platies and bristlenose babies. And quite a few guppy males. The platies hassle the BNs, taking little nips at them. They even take nips at the adults.

What you mean you have to raise the fry as well, :confused: I thought you only had to breed them and then you got your badge :( I recon palm them off on to kids at the local school call it a comunity service and ask for the beadge LOL Na realy good luck with it and I hope it goes well,

Oh by the way I wont be comming to Melbourne now as my brothers is comming back home so I will have to stay hear and help with my God Son, but never mind ther is always next year after the Betta Australis show

Cheers

Les

• 2 months later...

Still a way to go with the badge. Platies have been evicted and replaced with swordtails. Lost all the bristlenose babies probably because of my lazy fish keeping. Also lost one of the females. I got a pair of dwarf gouramis a couple if weeks ago but the male got sick almost straight away and died a couple of days ago.