Help me set up my new tank!

kirty

So I have just purchased a second hand 4ft tank. I'm picking it up on Wednesday and will start cycling it then. Any tips for cycling it would be much appreciated as its been years since I set up a new tank. I want to have tropical fish in this tank and would love some suggestions on what species I could try. Also, where do you guys buy fish from. I rescue cats and dogs, so to me, pet shops are bad places! LOL! We have a few nice aquarium shops nearby though - are they OK for buying fish or are their fish breeders that you can buy from? Any advice is much appreciated! :)

One might want to live in Melbourne!! <_<

There is some great info on cycling your tank pinned at the top of this forum, and heaps of links to give you ideas for set-ups. Our planted tank comp. may give you some ideas too. A good site to visit for stocking etc. is Aquadvisor. Have fun and be patient :bighug: NannaJo B-)

Edited by FlameDragon

To cycle get a big ol prawn from the deli, put it in a filter bag and smoosh it up good. Leave in tank until you can no longer walk past the tank without dry heaving. Leave to brew for a few weeks. *lol*

I made a list of good fish for a 4ft tank for another member the other week so I'll copy and paste that.

Some of my favourite groups.. Note that you may have to sell the Angels and such when they get big enough to snack on Rasbora.. Not that mine do. They haven't touched any of my little fish, not even my dwarf rasbora.

4-6 Angels

10+ Fire red rasbora

6 Dwarf chain loach

8 Praecox

5 Gouramis (Pearl look particularly nice in planted tanks)

10 Cherry barbs and/or Odessa barbs

8 Panda corydora

10+ Neons or Cardinals

5 Discus

A pair of Apistos (love the opal borellis but they can be hard to come by) or Blue / Neon Blue / Gold Rams

10+ tetra or rasbora, I like rummynose with Discus

Some peppermint bristlenose or maybe some Julii Corydora

That should give you some ideas, lol.

There's the classified forum as you've already checked it out, boronia aquarium has a good classifieds section too.. but nothing will beat the auctions or fish fair :D which is soon!!! and I'm super dooper excited >=D

You can get straight ammonia from the deli. The prawn would work in theory, but seriously Yan, you sure you want that smell in your room!!!

The ammonia is available as a powder form that is used in cooking as a raising agent in pastry cooking as an alternative to baking powder. This is safe for human consumption (but only in recoomended methods/cooked off in oven) and thereby should be safefor cycling a tank. It's potent stuff, so you only need a TINY amount to put the ammonia readings off the scale in your tank.

Other people on this forum have used cleaning agents (cloudy ammonia etc) to do fishless cycling. Others say this is not a good idea because it is ofeten mixed with detergents which you want to avoid in your tank.

You could do fishy cycling - pop some live fish in to give a natural source of ammonia.

Sooo the tank is here and set up and I love it! :D Some progress pics:

Setting up the gravel and rocks:

IMG_0723.jpg

And with water and background:

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

I used the cooking oil method to attach my background and it looks so great! The colour is much more vivid compared to just taping it on. I've been feeding the tank every day (much the the amusement of my husband lol) and am adding plants tomorrow. :D

I had my water tested today and results were:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 0.15

Nitrate: just over 0

Ph was perfect apparently.

The lady said I need to add a heap more conditioning salts and also lots of KH powder, so I've done that.

I also bought some plants today, so the tank is looking a bit greener. Need to add more and play around with them but I ran out of time today and just wanted to get them in. :)

IMG_0762.jpg

Personally I think conditioning salts are a waste of money and not needed

IMO as for for the kh powder crush up a little eggshell place it in a stocking inside your filter just a small amount and monitor your KH some people use a little shell grit or lime stone just keep an eye on the ph

what is perfect ph by there definition? I run at 6.4 using a ph controller but in generall I would reccomend around 6.8 for plants, Melbourne tap water is around 7.2 currently? although that is not bad but a little wood in the tank helps reduce it a little

I find melbourne water pretty good for plants and fish although from time to time i do add a little calcium carbonate and bicarb but very rare and these are the only additives I add other than fertiliser and Co2 for my plants

If you find your PH a rising a little add some wood to the tank if you have not done so (sorry cant see picks at work)also beware of tannings leaching into the water

Also I dont do any water tests and dont own a test kit so you may not want to trust me LOL

Haha thanks for the tips. :) I already have conditioning salt and KH powder, so I'll use it until it runs out but wont bother buying more. I dont test the water of my other tank but I just want to get the conditions right to start with, and then I'll feel more confident! Off the top of my head, I think she said the ph was about 6.5

Hey kirty looking good, love the rock formations!

Id suggest maybe bringing the rocks forward a little so bigger/ taller plants can be planted behind them ! I think that would look nice with the smaller plants already infront of them.

You need to seperate your plants a little dont plant them as they came in a bunch they tend to rot, give them room to grow and fill out

as per Neffy I agree with moving the rocks forward a little, maybe removing one and add a little wood into the tank but confirm your PH first as wood will drop it lower

6.5 seems low for melbourne water or your not metro area or using tank water?

Ray

There are already plants behind the rocks (but I am also leaving space behind one for a sponge filter) but I have rearranged the plants a bit and added a few more from my other tank. I have been keeping an eye out for a nice piece of driftwood but I do like the rocks. :D The water is crystal clear now! So exciting!