New Shelves & New Sorority Tank for the ladiessss

melbournebetta

Super happy with the new shelving system (180 cm high x 90 wide x 40 deep)

I was going to start a philosophy of "if it dosen't fit on the shelves I can't have it"

but hey - when I start jarring up the 100+ fry currently in the big grow-out, I'm going to need to expand.

Here it is for now:

Messy, but it was just assembled (need to hide power cords and food etc)shev.jpg

Looks much better in the dark:

shelfs.jpg

Oh, and here is the sorority:

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

Looks much better in the dark (as does most of my bedroom actually....)

Pecking order is as follows:

Red HM

Lavender HM

Dragon HM

4 x copper ladies

I had to take out "Fang" (Hazel) as she was basically playing dominatrix, you could hear the JAWS theme music as she ran around with her moth agape threatening everything in sight.

Not a new nip out of any fins as yet - these are all relatively calm girls.

Lavender and Red both have holes in fins after Mr Salamander's spawning 11 days ago. (Lavender said no, so she got pulled out; red said no, then yes)

Bare bottom tank, with a pinch of shell grit, anubias on driftwood and some other lovely green plant I can't remember the name of - and a big fat fake plant up the back for protection.

All hiding a heater, filter and apple snail somewhere in there.

I'm wondering if I should re-introduce Hazel (Fang) and if it would be worth putting Beryl (the turq) in there too? they're both super duper big bodied alpha ....."Ladies"

Hmmmmmzzz

Opinions? Tips?

My first sorority..... and no injuries - will this last?

-Ness

I love those narrow little self-contained tanks you have your boys in.

Why is your spawning tank pink? Or is that brown being misrepresented by the photo?

With the sorority, seems some girlies just don't cope well with it. All you can do is try, keep fingers crossed and hope for the best - And be ready to net them out if someone sees red.

Pyrefly,

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a dill and put too many IAL in the spawning tank - yeah, so it's a bit pink under that lighting, but is actually dark like tea.

Diluted now somewhat as the kids are 11 days old and I feel able to cope with some more water to begin filling up the tank, it's much more respectable now.

Those tanks up top were what I started out with, and have just collected more and more - from big W, they're 10 litres and stretch back the length of the shelving (40 cm) so they're perfect for one little man, and to un card is easy.

They have really soft filtration and a few LED lights, but no heating -which has proven an issue, so the room is quite warm until I purchase a reptile heat mat to place underneath.

Really happy with the sorority now, I was so skeptical, but it's much easier to heat and filter these gals together, and when they're being conditioned for breeding I'll put them into isolation.

Cheers,

-Ness

brilliant set-up Ness! you're giving me ideas :giggle:

the sorority looks like it's got lots of hiding space so it should be fine? ... I dunno, I've never

had a sorority myself. what are the dimensions of that tank? how are the girls going now? any severe

fights?

-crazy fish lady indeed, this forum seems quite responsible for a number of those :lol:

Sorority: 22 litre Aquaone thing with a filter and a light that was supposed to work :T

I'm watching the two top gals have a barney, but its all pretty tame, the 5/6 copper girls are only 2-3 months old, so quite small in the body, and the dragon lady (heh) isn't really interested in anyone... so it's clear sailing.

The copper female wont go back in there, she's a maniac.

The turq lady might have a stint in there too, but I feel she might beat everyone up the copper/turq ladies aver VERY big... as big as my males, and I've got a few ideas about spawning with her, so she's in isolation getting very FAT.

Very happy with the girls new setup, and yeah, they have ALL the plants in there, just to reduce the stress.

I love those big W tanks, they're ace... i still do water changes weeky/biweekly but they're perfect as an alternative to a divided display tank.... all got lids and lights and filters.

Once I get the reptile heater (in the mail) there won't be anything else they'll want! (except another dose of blood worms)

-Ness

Hi Ness,

I was just speaking to someone who had their Big W tank's light transformer blow out because there was a HEAP of condensation and water built up in the hood around the electricals. Apparently very poorly sealed. He cut two holes in the back and installed a pc fan in one of them to prevent the issue happening again. Then I remembered you had the same tanks! Just a word of warning. :)

Loving the top row of tanks side on, and there is nothing better than having a stand full of tanks being the main illumination in the room. Having your show tank without a substrate is great, because its easy to do what changes remove any debris.

Dave,

Yeah, and with all the water changes I do daily, I just can't be bothered with substrate, my boys love their river rocks and live plants.

Yan,

I have killed a few of those big W tank transformers, (now I know how) I think I'll wait until they're all gone and investigate removing the lids and putting a long 90cm fluro over the lot... means I don't have filtration, but the filters work so poorly (and are so STRONG) that I only have them on for a few mins every day, at which point I think the good bacteria in the filter is useless anyway.

Waterchanges it is!

Don't ask about my power bill, between this and the web design business I run out of the same room, I've shorted this circut at least 20 times.

-powerlessNess

Don't ask about my power bill, between this and the web design business I run out of the same room, I've shorted this circut at least 20 times.

:rofl: That's happened to me also. Except it's graphic design, and I've run out of powerplugs, so much so that when I charge my phone etc at night i have to unplug other things.

Really nice setup. I'm jealous!! Really love those individual tanks :) Look really great standing all next to each other

Yeah if the filter doesn't have water moving through it then the good bacteria doesn't survive very long. Especially those top filter types. I think at this point I'd cut the hoods off, pop a little sponge filter in each and suspend a fluro above them all. Only issue then is the lack of lids. I find cling wrap works pretty well lol poke a hole through it for feeding!