Movin to the country, gunna eat lots of peaches

Bec

Hi all,

I am planning a big sea change, but not to the seaside (how does a 32 square meter fish room sound? :yes: ). My dilemma is how do I move 80 odd fish? I was thinking that my tanks might be in storage for over a week and that would be the end of the biological filters at the other end. Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions?

I have too many gorgeous fish to risk neglect with that many in bottles :scared: so have been thinking about re homing some to serious Melbourne breeders (no charge ... just a replacement fish if you manage a successful spawn down the track). Let me know what colour / line you are working on I will see if I have anything of interest for you. I will keep at least a dozen of my favorites though, I can farm them out to friends in smaller tanks pre the move.

Sorry to those in other states...offer to VIC breeders only

you're giving up your fishes?! I have an idea why don't you leave your fishes at someone's place and they can look after them for you and when you've settle down and have time you can get them back.

In fact I'm more than happy to do that for you but as long you're taking them back afterwards coz mum will kill me if I suddenly have additional 20 new fishes here permanently... I think I'm looking after sarah's tank when she goes on her holidays so another tank or two won't hurt. Since I'm going on my uni holidays in 2 weeks.

That's a nice idea Joan.... hope Bec can work something out so she gets to keep the fish after all her hard work getting them together ... and that huge fish room is going to be needing them too by the sounds of it!!!

32m2 sounds like a great size for a fish room Bec! all the best with the move....

Gee thanks Joan ... I may take you up on that for one tank at least! :thumbs: I have a cube that holds eight boys at a time that I could set up, or even my non betta tank (angels, gourami, tetra, guppies and than there is the goldies).

I am thinking maybe if I could just put all the filters in a tub with a heater and get someone to "feed" them ammonia for a few days that would help me get things set up fast at the other end (at a time when I am trying to set up a whole house). I hate moving house, it is such a pain! :rant:

The 'fish room' is actually an old orchid nursery that has been let go, it has a very solid steel frame and roof, is fully plumbed with drippers everywhere but no solid walls. Me thinks a little fixing would make it into a pretty spectacular fish room (my daughter has now claimed half for her art studio...but I think there is room for both)

Bec

I'd be happy to help with fishy sitting too. Not sure if you'd trust me as new to the hobby but the offers there.

Thanks, and I am pretty new to this anyway so I'd trust you!

That is a GREAT fishroom! Good luck with the move.. I hope you can work something out like what Joan suggested. It would be pretty bad having to part with so many fish.

Moving to the country.. plus a huge fishroom.. that is my dream! I've always wanted a farm with a fishroom. I'm happy for you! Good luck!

My dream to Sarah ... it was a very sudden decision but with animals coming out of my ears (and eaves ... literally) I decided to just go for it!

I shall see if I can get my daughter to do some betta pics but some how I think it will be mostly horses coming out of her artist pad :giggle:

and now my Mum wants to claim a spot in the nursery as her home away from home ... groan, at this rate I will be lucky if they leave me a shelf

Edited by Bec

I can help with shipping interstate if you need it. Sorry I can't help with baby sitting. In the days when we were allowed to take fish on planes I moved from Melbourne to Sydney and back again with my fish. Never worried about cycling filters. Just fill tank with water, add a cycling product, add fish and off they go. Just test for ammonia every few days and water change if it's too high.

Is there nowhere else in the new house you can set up your tanks temporily? Seems a shame to get rid of fish you only just acquired. When is the move happening?