HELP with Betta fry Please!

Sarah

My fry were one week old yesterday, yet for some reason about 50-100 died only yesterday. I don't know what I did, but I did add some water (was about 5degrees higher) extra slowly, and I also fed frozen bloodworms with the usual infusoria and a bit of egg yolk. WELL, I thought the bloodworms were silly as they were 3x the size if the fry, so I removed them. DO YOU know what happened?

Sorry, I'm really rushing this topic as I'm worry, and don't know what to do, so you may find lots of grammar mistakes and such.

What is best for them to eat now? Please don't think I'm a bad fry owner, I did plan ahead, for over 6months actually. Anyway, I think maybe BBS for now, but have no idea how to cuture them. Or where to get them and I need them NOW. Does anybody have a mature culture for sale, or a better idea for food... then there is the issue of varitey. What else? Thanks... sorry about this, I don't even think I provided the proper information, but anyways, THANK YOU> :)

How did you raise the water temp?

What are is your water like ?

pH=

GH= not so important

Ammonia =

Nitrite=

Nitrate, if you have it

How did you add the water?

The black worm is OK if you finely chop it and I mean very fine at this age.

How often are you cleaning your tank?

For that many to die that quickly I'd be thinking contaiminated water or a parasite.. Check or white spot or velvet and water conditions as Jo said.

They should be on BBS by now, or something like microworms if BBS is too big for them.

I don't know about other LFS but Auburn Aquarium does sell servings of BBS. Try calling around. BBS is pretty easy to hatch yourself but if you have a local store selling servings I find it a lot more convienient, just a bit more pricey in the long run. Just make sure it was hatched that day or the nutritional value declines.

Auburn Aquarium? Oh, I didn't know they had that! Thank you. I'll watch the tank, and I have done a few water changes. They seem a lot better, and I also have a few mozzie wriggler cultures going. I'll try and see if my dad can take me to Auburn, but it is a bit out of the way. :(

Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better now. :bighug:

:( sorry to hear the bad news Sarah....

Lisa has probably hit the nail on the head - bloodworms have a lot of 'juice' in the frozen cubes - usually best to thaw them and rinse them but probably they're a bit too big even chopped for week old's.... definitely go the bbs for your fry - the little orange bellies are a good sign of them feeding well.....

How are the rest doing at the moment? fingers crossed....

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

As for baby brine shrimp, they're easy as. Just google brine shrimp hatchery and you'll come across hundreds of videos of how to make one. I'm just using a two litre coke bottle with an airline running into it from an air pump, and I have a 10ml syringe with air line attached to the end to suck the bbs out of the bottle and squirt direct to the fry.

The hardest part is the cost of brine shrimp eggs, between $60 and $80 for 450 gramms (which is heeeeaaappps), and working up the nerve to walk into a chemist and ask for two 10ml syringes (cost me $1). The girl behind the counter gave me a funny look, but I couldn't be bothered explaining to her they were to use to feed my baby fish. Maybe if you walked in, in school uniform and said they were for a school science experiment or something, they might not give you a hard time.

LOL @ briztoon about the syringe... had one chemist up here tell me they could sell me the syringe but not the needles!!! Laughed at that reaction....

Found a pretty good looking Brine Shrimp Harvesting kiton an auction site.... gives a fine mesh net to strain them with and a screw cap with an out let for airline tubing all ready to set up with a 2litre bottle and save you the diy of drilling a hole in a cap, etc....

Easy as.

LOL!! I was talking to someone from Townsville yesterday and he said you can often tell a Queenslander because they say "Easy as". I had never noticed before, but because he said that only yesterday, I laughed when I read your posts :)