Biosecurity Draft Report Petition

Fishchick

An online petition has been created at this link

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39081.html

please sign the petition and comment - especially reference how you will be affected by the procedure.

If you have religious views (eg Buddhism) comment on the ethics of the large scale, unnecessary and wanton destruction of a living creature. Comment how unfavourable this appears to the international community etc. Be polite & truthful but emotive.

(Particularly if you are a store or legit online seller - mention the COST $$ to your business, loss of employees etc)

Perhaps type your comment in a word document first to check spelling - nothing says "uneducated ranting fool" like a paragraph of abysmal spelling and grammar!

Power to the People fellow Aquarists.

Best regards, someone

I've signed it and I'm going to share it with all my friends via email, Facebook and Twitter (just as soon as I get home and have access to all of those things). Also want to say that anonymous signatures are not terribly useful. From the standing orders governing petitions: "A petition shall be signed by the petitioners with their names".

This is what I have used on Facebook for those who don't feel like writing their own:

In the status: "Please sign this petition to stop the Biosecurity Australia Iridovirus report from being accepted. Help save the Australian aquarium industry!"

After adding the link, in the text box where it automatically adds the sample "We the undersigned are concerned citizens who urge our elected members of Parliament to act now to delay the introduction of recommendations laid out in the Biosecurity Report to allow: 1. An additional round of consultative process be undertaken, which...",

I have replaced that with "Sign the petition with your real name, and a meaningful comment about how regulations based on this report will affect you, or about how scientifically and ethically wrong the report is."

Cheers :)

Edited by splendidbetta

What should I do about taking petitions to lfs? If you all think it would be helpful then I need to know err... well i don't know if there would be copyright laws on the preamble used for this online petition? Could I use it?

Edited by fishish

"Thats no problem, you're welcome to copy the text. Good on you for doing something. I'm assuming you saw the link to the petition at either aquariumlife or perthcichlid. If you're a member of any other forums it would be appreciated if you could post the link up if you get time, the more exposure we get the better.

Good luck

Clinton"

So I'll do it mid next week. Can anyone advise me how long I should leave them there? (assuming the lfs allow me to leave them there). I'm not sure when a decision is going to be made by Biosecurity Australia? I think I read it is in October some time, a date would be good. Also, anyone know what I could do with them when I collect them?

Edited by fishish

probably thousands of signatures will be needed if they are to take us seriously seriously.... I think we really need it to get into every LFS in Australia and get hobbyists, casual fish keepers and breeders aware of this.... will be approaching a couple tomorrow with fingers crossed....

I had posted the link at Bettas4all forum, my website superbbettas.com, twitter and my facebook. A lot of people who see it from those places are from other countries. I guess it couldn't hurt, and the government could just count Aussie signatures if that's the policy...

We have 201 signatures so far. Keep them coming guys :D

Does anyone know who all the major importers and suppliers are? Maybe we can get them to distribute the petition among their clients?

Does anyone know who all the major importers and suppliers are?

I can think of Bay Fish, Petras and Aquarium Industries off the top of my head.

I'm starting to look into getting the media involved in this, already contacted ACA with no reply. Perhaps the newspapers would be more interested.

Finally asked at Coburg. The woman had never heard about batch testing! Weird much :confused: I'm pretty sure she was one of the owners. I told her a little about it. I was going to ask if i could take a petition in for customers to sign but she had started to look uncomfortable or something so I didn't feel it appropriate, sorry :(

If the guy I spoke to last time is there sometime I might try to mention it to him....

Edited by fishish