3.4ft Community Tank

Anasfire

I tried looking through posts to see if I'd already posted a topic on my community tank previously and couldn't find one, so here it is!

The tank

Tank1-1.jpg

Granted, that photo is from a few years ago but it's still the same tank, same gravel just arranged differently

I haven't had anything but my BN's and Peppermint in there for a while now. I used to have bumblebee goby's, cory's and some bolivian rams but they all died about 8 months ago.

The lovely and wonderful Kandee (aka Amber) went to purchase some fish yesterday and asked me what I'd like. I paid for 14 Harliquin Rasboras and 6 Bolivian Rams, but she also got me 12 panda cory's, 10 neon tetras and a trio of blue rams as a belated birthday gift and for helping her out with breeding bettas (which I told her I'd do for free anyway!). She's a very sweet and lovely girl and I'm proud to call her my new friend.

Here are some photo's of the new fish, currently in the quarantine tank for a week or 2. I think if they are still ok after a week with the temp at 30deg they should be ok to go into my 3.4ft tank with the guppy's Bender gave me and my BN's and fry.

Blue ram male

DSCF2891.jpg

DSCF2883.jpg

Bolivian Butterfly Rams and a panda cory one of the shots also

DSCF2885.jpg

DSCF2889.jpg

The weird stuff floating around them is dead duckweed, I tell people I manage to kill it and they don't believe me! See, I do! The Panda cory's LOVE to eat it though, and the blue rams were having a nibble also.

They've all settled into their tanks well and the rams in particular are showing lovely colouration in the high temperature water!

I'll post some more photo's once they are all in the 3ft tank together

More photo's to come of the neons and rasboras schooling...

Edited by Fighters4U

Here's the rasboras and neons.

DSCF2888.jpg

Had my first death, a neon! Ah well.

I can't wait to get them all into the 3.4ft, they'll look awesome.

For now though I've lowered the temp to 24deg to try and get the BN to spawn before I introduce the new fish. They'll need their temp set at 28-30 at least and that's way too high for the BN to spawn.

How exciting Cassi, those Bolivians are stunners!

AhHa, I'm glad I'm not the only plant murderer. I just read somewhere that ppl say they need to be "unbunched" or they'll rot & die - so we're supposed to take that wire off?

Amber, is this fish wholesaler open to the general public & do they do plants as well? If so, who, what, when, where pleeeeeeeeease?

Nope. It was a one time thing... And it wasn't supposed to be broadcasted. xDDDD

I am friends with the person which is why I got to go look at their fish and buy some. <_<

Plus I need to spend over $150 to buy fish and fish under $1.60 each need to be purchased in tens.

:/

Edited by Kandee

Yeah I fell in love with Bolivian Butterfly Rams when I went to the 07 Betta Show at Wet Petz in Brissy. I saw them in the shop and fell completely for them. Took me another year or so to get them though. I didn't get any until I started working at a Pet Shop and they had them on special for $5ea so I bought 4. Turned out that I had a breeding pair too, they bred for me a few times but I never got any fry from them. Something ate them. This time if I get lucky enough to have any lay for me I'll be removing them and hatching them myself.

I don't seem to have a problem with any other plants, I've got 2 year old Amazon swords doing well in my 3.4ft tank. And the duckweed grows fine in my 3.4ft, coz it has a 4ft T5 light over it and it's on for 12-14 hours a day.

I think it's just that tank, it doesn't get much light, not even ambient light. It's in the corner of my bedroom where the sun doesn't reach it. And that's the reason it was there, coz it was a grow out tank for my fry, didn't need the sun to alter the tank temp and grow algae all over it! That's also the reason it's set at like 30°C, for the fry.

Edited by Fighters4U

Loved the set-up. Love rams too - only not really compatable with blue acaras. I finally got rid of all my duck weed, took me weeks of using a net to catch it all. Each day i swear it would double in surface area, makes a great mulch.

Ok, I've probably done them more harm than good, but I've moved them all to the 3.4ft. It's at around 28°C at the moment. I've cranked the heater up to try and get it to 30°Cish. The rams don't seem to be taking the move very well. It might also be because I cleaned out the filter so it's creating quite a current in there, that is until it gets clogged with enough hair algae again to slow it down more...should only take a day or two lol.

I've set the filter at it's lowest speed but it's still blowing everything around and the Bolivian rams in particular are all huddled in a corner, furthest from the filter, looking stressed. The Blue ram's colours have faded slightly but he's pecking around looking for food. The tetras and rasboras are madly schooling, trying to keep together and the Panda cory's seem unaffected, just scooting around the bottom looking for food to devour no doubt. The guppys are fine, as usual. The males are trying to mate with the tetras but finding they won't stay still long enough lol.

I've turned the filter around so instead of blowing along the length of the tank it's blowing towards me as I look at it, to the width of the tank. This has lowered the current a little...but not by much.

I just hope I haven't stressed the Bolivian's out too much that they cark it! I love them soooooo much!

Will post an update in the morning as to whether they survived the night.

Well this morning the filter has a nice amount of hair algae stuck in the back of it and the flow has reduced significantly.

No deaths either so far! YAY!! first morning I've woken and to no deaths at all. The rasboras and tetras are all schooling nicely, and the guppys are actually trying to imitate them and school also hahaa. I've never seen guppys school before, it's cute.

The blue ram is totally fine and the bolivians still look stressed but aren't all huddling in a corner anymore, they're swimming around checking out the tank and a few of the males have got their colour back.

It was easier to take a video than photo's. I hope the audio is working, youtube tells me the 'audio swap' is in progress.

I have no idea what the Rasboras were doing over in the right hand corner, looked like spastics though.

Edited by Fighters4U

Well I've had another death, a Bolivian this time grrr and it appears they're all eating my cherry shrimp! found a bolivian and a panda cory taking turns to nip the legs off the shrimp and then the cory grabbed the legless carcass and took off into a cave.

So for now, I've rescued as many of the shrimp as I could find, only 3!!!! Out of the 50+ I had and transferred them to the tank that was the Quarantine tank with some java moss that needs cleaning.

There was a female in the bunch with a good sized clutch of eggs so hopefully they'll hatch and they'll breed like crazy.

Yeah, well they now have the betta grow out tank all to themselves, all 5 of them :dontknow:

I hope they'll breed ok in there, it's bare bottom but I've added a nice big chunk of java moss and a cave ornament for them to climb on, plus they have the sponge filter in there which they seem to enjoy climbing all over.

I'll keep an eye out for more over the next few days and rescue them from the tank whenever I see them, but sheesh...5 remaining from 50 is pretty pathetic! I hope the bolivians and panda's enjoyed their feast! Not happy with them right now....

Edited by Lilli
double post in 1 :)

I saw this tank on Tuesday, it looks fantastic!

So sad about the shrimp Cassi, they did look nice hanging in the plants. They should be ok in the new tank, they love the java moss, drift wood seems to hold there attention too, when yours needs a cleaning you could drop it in. Its good you have one definite female, your sure to have plenty in next to no time.

Hmm I too have suffered a blow in the shrimp dept. There I was gloating that my dear sweet Betta boy had got up close & personal with shrimp for the last week +, they sat eye to eye next to each other for endless hours with no dramas.

Ha, the worm turned - this morning 2 x legless bodies, I could've wept - much frustration in stripping tank & rescuing the others. Lesson learned, never think butter wouldn't melt in a Betta's boys mouth!

I found 2 more in the tank today, a male and a female! They're hiding from me well! So that makes a total of like 7 I've rescued now. At least one of the females has berries so that's good :) They have a nice chunk of cucumber in there now too. I thought I'd treat them for being the sole survivors of my nasty cichlids