My, ah...betta setup

splendidbetta

hello all.

I just thought i would post my betta setup.

in my bedroom, which has now become a fishroom, I have a proper computer/work desk on which is 4 12+ litre tanks, containg my current spawn, and behind the first 3 is a large long storadge tub where i keep my jarred males.

I dont have this tub outside anymore as i found the heater struggled to keep the water in the tub/bottles warm in the garage, and once i forgot to turn the heater back on after water changes and all 36 bettas died of cold... :drool:

3 of those small tanks contain my fry, the fourth contains pond water in which there are rotifers, daphnia, and cyclops, some small ramshorn snails that werent doing well at tropical temps, and thats it.

beside this desk is a wooden toybox with a leather seat, on wich 2 large foam boxes are stacked, which contain all my aquarium stuff.

downstairs in the living area i have my 80 litre tank which atm is being used as betta barracks, betta bottles in the heated tank water.

I can keep about 35 betta juvies in 1 litre bottles in the storage tub in my room, and about 20 2 litre bottles in the 80 litre tank.

they all get frequent water changes, now no more than 50% waterchange every 2 days or so. of course the bottled bettas sometimes get changed more often if the water spoils sooner.

pics:

the 80 litre tank when used as a spawn tank:...the 2 containers in the tank are my bbs hatchery

Posted Image

the brown bits on the plastic on the desk are old elodea leaves...i left the elodea on the plastic during the water change i did before taking photos.

Posted Image

the runt tank.................besides this is the daphnia tank. (not shown here :(

Posted Image

Thanks :drool: the snails I use are Golden Applesnails, I have 2 of those, male and female. the ramshorn snails are little brown spotted ones that were hitch-hikers on some elodea. they bred prolifically but unfortunately i was unable to collect the babies. they became dormant and not ctive a few days ago, so i put them in the daphnia tank :( hopefully they can breed properly in peace.

Hi all :) thanks for your replies :lol: I have had the golden applesnails for about 3 months...maybe 4 months. I am pretty sure that one is male and the other is female, but no eggs or mating at all, im afraid :drool: they were pretty much mature when i got them....4-5 whorls of shell. A neighbour had built a waterfall type fountain, a small pond in the center and a ramp on either side for the 2 waterfalls. but as it was summer he turned the pump off. so, somehow, micro-organisms, rotifers and daphnia and cyclops began to grow in it, and one day when i passed by, i checked the pond for mozzie wrigglers, and saw the daphnia etc, and asked him if i could collect them. he let me. so now i have a tank containing daphnia, rotifers, cyclops and i suppose infurosia, which I am currently trying to stock back up again after pouring half that tank into my spawn tank as infurosia.... I dont have many daphnia, lots of cyclops tho...i am feeding them 1/4 teaaspoon of powdered spirulina dissolved in water once a day. I have about 1000 daphnia, i dont even feed them to my fish except to new fry. :(:) But Lambo, in a few months time I will see how many i have and try to give you a split culture, ok? ;) Thanks Robbie, Jess, Joep, Phil and Sue :) Sue, yeah, there is a bed in my room, double-queen sized(not sure exactly which). but i dont know how much longer i will actually have room for a bed in there ;) luckily i do have some control over my betta habit, so i think my bed is safe for now :lol:

Well lilli dear... I'm trying to gauge the competition when we're up in brisbane next march... I want to see all this happen, and weighing up the cost of the alcohol for me to see all this.. so more stories Robbie! Sorry Stefan.. :thumbs:

:goodo: :whistling: Anyway...I just split the daphnia into 2 more cultures: now I have the original, main culture in the 10 litre tank, about 100 adults and sub-adults in a 1.5 litre critter-keeper, for myself, about 50-100 adults and sub-adults in another critter-keeper for Lambo if he wants it... If you would like a culture of live Daphnia (free, pickup only)...(Lambo/Liam, Mishy, Bren, Steve and other Melbourners) Let me know here in this thread, and I will spit some more sub-cultures containing 50+ Daphnia, nurture them untill they multiply and breed :) to make sure they are still healthy and happy etc, and then let you know when you can come pick your culture up ;) It may take some time, as i only have around 1000 adults and thats not enough to feed to bettas while still keeping the culture breeding... please note, that if indeed you do want daphnia from me, that you WILL NOT feed them to your fish. you will breed them in a tank untill you have a self sustainable breeding colony big enough to cope with being harvested as food.] ATM they are being fed spirulina powder dissolved in water, and seem to have tripuled in numbers since I brought the culture back to life after feeding most of it to my last spawn as infurosia. the adult females have their eggsack full of eggs and they have been turning orange from the spirulina jumpstarting their carotene etc. I guess that not every one has access to live daphnia, and if i may help in your quest for them, :goodo: :goodo:

Archived