Hi From Port Douglas

miha1967

Hi everybody,

My name is Mihaela, I'm a marine biologist (used to work in research in aquaculture field) and live in Port Douglas, Qld (Cairns area). I have my first two spawns of siamese fighting fish and waiting for the third to happen as we speak. The oldest ones are 6 weeks old and start jarring the biggest ones and the second spawn is 4 weeks old. I don't know yet what I'm going to do with fry, chose some for breeding, give them away to friends, give some to the aquarium shop for some shop credit or so. Anyway they are gorgeus, from an opaque white x opaque white female and yellow male x opaque white female, all half moons. I will take pictures when they get older. I also own a 300 l community fish tank with discus and other species. Intend to try breeding discus, I will set up a 100 l breeding tank in the next few days. I also have brine shrimp hatchery and brine shrimp culture spirulina fed. I need to learn as much as possible and I hope to find some resources here. I hope to find some other starter cultures of live feeds, especially microworm. Thanks!

Mihaela

Edited by mihaela

Hi Mihaela, welcome to AusAqua! :)

Can't wait to see pics of your fry!

someone (someone) has cultures of microworms and vinegar eels for sale - she is in Queensland also, so might be worth having a look in Classifieds, there's a thread there for members who are selling live foods.

Welcome Mihaela :)

I love Opaques! I think we were wondering if anyone was breeding opaque HM's not long ago and here you are!! I bet a few people would be interested in your fish as they mature. I want to see some photos!!! (when you have time, of course :) :))

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome. I need to rectify something. About my betta breeding pair, they are not pedigree fish, I don't know their parents and I'm just a begginer, don't know much about the colors and standards but they just look like halfmoons, probably they are not perfect, and the white opaque is not really pure white (but that's hard to find), he looks a bit pinkish, depends on the light. I will try and take pictures and I"d like to hear your opinions. The yellow male has some black markings and also his fins have been badly damaged by the female a few months ago at my very first attempt to breed betta and they are not fully recovered. The curious thing is that many of the fry resulted from the yellow male cross to white female have light bodies and fins with red markings but they are just a month old, I can't wait to see how they will get. Anyway I'd like to play with diffrent colors but the challange would be to get a pure white line. Everything started as a play, I didn't think of breeding when I bought the fish. But I thought they were so beautiful and wanted to multiply the beauty. Now I spend more time with betta fry then with my family and I just can't go away from them. My whole verranda is occupied with fish tanks, tubs with water, BS culture, and it's so addictive.

Cheers,

Mihaela

Edited by mihaela

Hey Mihaela :)

Don't worry about the lines your fish come from. A good fish is a good fish, and even if they aren't show winners you'll learn a bundle about bettas and genetics. You've already discovered something about the fish you have, based on the offspring (marble, cambodian and/or non-red, I think - photos please!). The more you breed, the more information you'll gather about them :)

Don't ever worry about the type of fish you have. :) It is possible to find perfectly wonderful fish at the pet shop, and if you think they are pretty it doesn't really matter anyway :)

Hey Mihaela! I live in Cairns :) Where did you get your betta from?

Welcome o the forum

I've got my yellow male from a pet shop in Mossman and paid 40 dollars (quite a lot!). It's unusual to find there anything but veil tails, but when I saw this halfmoon I had to have it. With the white male, I was very fortunate, I bought 4 white young females from Äquarium World" Cairns and one happened to become this beautiful male. I also have a red VT, my husband bought from Mossaman. I attempted to breed him but after they spawned and female has been removed he ate all the eggs. I'm not going to try him again.

Edited by mihaela

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I know I promised photos and I keep trying, It seems like the more time I spend trying to get decent pics, the worse the result and frustration. And also can anyone tell me how to upload photos straight from the computer, or do I need to post them on a website first?!! The frustration is bigger because what I see is so prety and what I get in the photos it's pathetic. They are keep moving, how can I make them be still?

Thanks, Mihaela

I can't offer any very good tips on photographing the tiny demons (I suck at it) other than to say maybe try a smaller container so thry can't move around as much .... In the Shutterbugs forum there are photography tips, I think.

to add photos here you first need to upload to a hosting site, such as photobucket. There is a sticky post on how to add photos in the Fishy Showroom.