Males and females in same tank, with dividers...

finley

What would be the consequences of housing females in the same body of water as males, with separators between them all?

Would this be better, worse, or similar to having only males, in terms of stress for all involved?

Thanks,

Fin

Would the dividers be see-through??

That's a TBA - it depends what I can find in the hardware store! Ideally I would like to do something like 2/3 plastic mesh + plant cover, and 1/3 see-through - that elusive sense of companionship + privacy! So it's easy for them to hide from each other, or flirt safely if they feel like it.

That's the current plan anyway. Of course it may all change...

:scared:

Not being in any way an expert, my feeling would be to keep them completely invisible from each other. In

my (under construction) barracks, I intend to have a window placed in each divider, that will be uncoverable

so the boys can poke faces at each other each arvo. If you will be using clear acrylic or even glass, I'd

suggest finding some way to block off vision between each compartment, so you are able to control when

your fish see each other...

in my experience most of my females have become eggbound... but never dropped eggs and ended up dead no matter how much I tried to coax them to drop the eggs, I even had one girl who I physically took out of the tanks and squeezed eggs out of her 2 or 3 times! and she just kept getting bigger... eventually dying...I had originally tried to spawn her but she wouldn't let the boy wrap her and thus I abandonned the attempt after a couple of weeks.

HMM No more letting the girls talk to Eric!!....

.... on this topic.... if you have girls in dividers should you let them see each other all the time - or also put in place screeners so they can't see each other...

I intend to have a window placed in each divider, that will be uncoverable

so the boys can poke faces at each other each arvo.

Gosh that is a cute way to describe it.

I keep all my girls in together, and just keep my boys seperate, but while the boys are young I don't bother blocking their view from their brothers.

I have read somewhere that females release hormones into the water to indicate that they are ready to breed. If this is true and you are not planning to breed them then it is probably better to have them in a seperate water supply.

I have to say the same thing, I've never had an eggbound female. If there is no male around mine dump their eggs. They have also dumped them when they either didn't like the male or he was too aggressive and frightened them. I had one female that 'popped' that I thought was eggbound but my vet PM'ed her and we found that it was a tumor on her reproductive organs that was the true problem. I'm lucky that my vet is as curious as I am and doesn't charge me for unusual requests - like post morteming a fish :Drunk_Buddies2:

Archived