Am I asking to much

Tara

Hi Everyone

Im not sure where to post this but as some of you would have seen I advertised my Doubletails for $15 each.

I just recieved an email from a free classified ad site where I also advertised them and to get straight to the point, it said that they only sell their fighting fish for $5.00 and $6.00 and I wasnt even a petshop and was asking $15, it didnt state what type of Fighter's.

So my question is am I asking to much? I've never sold fish before so I'm all new to this :dontknow: so I would really appreciate some feedback.

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong place.

Tara :blush:

Thanks Beano

Yes I had them advertised as Doubletails and I told them when I emailed back that if they could get Doubletails for less then $15 let me know.

I will take your advice and ignore them. Thanks Again!

Tara

Are they doubletail halfmoon? Superdelta? or Veiltail? Male or female? what age? What colour? how good is the conformation of the fish? Are the lobes even? Spine straight?

This information will greatly affect what a reasonable price is.

If you are not a retail outlet then you need to reduce your price to be less than what someone can purchase a similar quality fish in a pet store.

HTH J

If you are not a retail outlet then you need to reduce your price to be less than what someone can purchase a similar quality fish in a pet store.

Why? I know hobby breeders don't have the same costs as retail outlets involved in selling fish, but we're the ones who pour over 3 months' worth of our own time, money, and effort into producing nice fish. If we manage to sell some of the resulting stock I don't understand why we need to reduce the price simply because we aren't retail outlets. All I can think of is regulating the price according to customer demand, and the need to clear out surplus stock as fast as possible. :blush:

I have pictures in the classified ad I placed but here's a link to my album the DT's for sale are marked

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/crazyfishfamily/

They are three months old ,I have a few with bent spines mostly females but I wouldnt sell them for $15 they will more then likely be give aways.

Im pretty sure the DT's are Classed as short fin's most of the lobes are the same size but happy to reduce price for the ones that arent I have 17 females and 16 males check out album link for colours. Have only ever seen doubletails advertised once at a pet shop in Cairns and they were $15 havent seen them since. Where I got my breeder's them from they were $20 for female and $30 for male and I had to ask for them.

On the subject of how much whats the asking price for Crowntails.

I don't understand why we need to reduce the price simply because we aren't retail outlets.

I think if it is a similar quality fish to what people can buy in a pet store then you might have to reduce the price to attract customers. Otherwise it's simply easier to go to a shop. Hopefully the fish we're breeding are of better quality than is available in pet shops so a price reduction is unnecessary.

So Tara, maybe you should provide more info on their background when you advertise. And don't just advertise on forums. Not all betta hobbyists read forums. As well as the forums, you might consider putting them on AquaBid. It's free, with an optional fee if your item sells over $30 (or something like that). Taking good pictures helps as well.

Hi

I've advertised in the free classifieds on the internet at a few different sights as well as a couple of forums.

I have also made up flyers and put them on notice boards around town and once the children are back at school and things settle down again I'll advertise in the local paper. You have given me alot to think about and I'm thinking I might have to drop the price just to get people interested because lets face it there is alot of people out there that dont even know there are different types of Betta's and do think it's to expensive as they can get VT's in the LFS for under $10 even though DT's arent abundent in Cairns. Once I can build a bit of a reputation I might be able to charge more then, I guess its just alot of trail and error when you are new to Betta Breeding. Maybe on the new flyer or ad's I can put not easy to get ect.

Time to start thinking.

Thanks

Apart from the general ads, maybe some ads for specific fish might also be helpful. If you were offering to ship this will broaden your market. I wouldn't be too quick to drop the price. You're selling a male double tail plakat for $15? I think that's perfectly reasonable, cheap even. You might be advertising in all the right places but the person looking for a DT PK may not be able to pick up in Cairns. I'm not convinced that pricing is the problem here. Are there local aquarium societies in Cairns? Maybe you could do a talk and raise awareness. Lilli has written a thread somewhere about raising awareness at markets. And I think I saw a post somewhere about stubskm selling fish at markets. So markets might be another idea. Have you seen the AAQ articles and fact sheets that have already been written? If not, they're here. Might give you some ideas and save you a bit of work.

I was thinking about trying the markets but with three young children, being pregnant and hubby away alot it might be a bit difficult at the moment but I will definately look into it, I'm also looking into the cost of shipping ect as I have had a few people say that they would like them if I could ship, So I have some homework to do. Thanks for all your help and the link to the articles I thought I searched this site from top to bottom but I missed them. Thanks again

Tara

Who made that rule? Tell him that with three little kids under your feet all day plus another one on the way, you deserve to buy anything you damn well please! :P Failing that buy what you want anyway and use the pregnant lady hormones excuse. :P "I don't know what happened. I was just taking the weight off my feet for five minutes and entertained myself by looking at AquaBid. I don't even remember using your credit card to pay for them. Honest. But they're here now... aren't they pretty? Ooh. Ouch. Your baby's kicking me. You wanna feel?" :P

:P Bettarazzi have you ever thought of a career in comedy.

I'll just wait for him (hubby) to go away again he never says anything once they are here. We just put a depoist on a new 4wd but we wont be picking it up till March ,April so I said to him does that mean I can get all my fish and fish things I need before then and he was silly enough to say yes. :P

Excellent. Now grab his Amex before he catches on. And remember Tara, you NEED one of every colour and tail type because you really don't know what to focus on until you see them in real life. But buy something for him as well. A new digital SLR camera, plus external flash and super macro lens would be a nice choice I would think. Just memorise the manual when it arrives then hide it. "Gee, honey, you should put your things away more carefully. No, I don't know how to take action shots of racing cars. Dont' you think that camera is too valuable to be taking to crowded places. But come into the fishroom and I'll show you what I do with the fish that are moving too fast. Look at that lovely red one. Exactly the same colour as a racing car." :lol:

Archived