Confused CT

Em

Back in May I bought myself a bunch of bettas and amoungst them a lovely red/green CT female. She looked like this back then.

redblackFMCT.jpg

Since coming home from Canada I decided to see if I could breed her with my last remaining VT. However I've taken them both out seeing as 'she' has never shown any vertical stripes, fattening around the belly nor any other breeding behaviour, and strangest of all flares with a full beard, has longer white tipped ventrals and goes mad at the mirror.

greenct1.jpg

greenct2.jpg

I took these two picture just this morning after emptying out the 'spawning tank'. You can see just how long the ventrals are.

It's got me thinking. Do I have a short finned crowntail or just a big boffy female. Usually I can tell the difference but this one has got me well and truly stumped! Ideas? :whistling:

Well there's the white spot but it's very small, infact tiny compared to other females I've had. I've had a few males in the past with one. Looking back at the first photo it definately looks female there but maybe 'it' was just constipated or something.

No wonder the VT male has such a big nest!

I was in the LFS just the other day to get a new VT Female and I saw some fighters very similar to yours they tried to tell me they were females but you should have seen the size of their bubble nests. :whistling: Looks like a boy to me the bottom fin looks a similar shape to my short fin double tail who is also quite boffy like your's but minus the CT tips. good luck

Tara

I keep asking myself 'is it really the same fish?' but then again it's the only crowntail that was left when I went overseas... 1 VT, 1 PK male and 2 PK females, a runty DT fry I bred and this one. So I know it's not any of the others.

I don't mind what 'she' really is, I still have a beautiful healthy fish :whistling:

Well with all the weird weather lately I've had 2 fish blowing bubblenets and flaring at one another all the time. They're even trying to see through the piece of paper I've got between them, it's amusing to watch really. 'His' finnage has even improved in the week and has tiny little rays splitting in his tail. I wouldn't call him a PK, just a short finned as there's no point

Archived