What will they think of next?

brettc777

Umm.... how does he breathe? Or is it not filled all the way to the top?

Yeah exactly!!! :(

I'm no expert (or physicist for that matter) but I would say that the globe part of the tank would have to be full in order for the whole trickle thingthing to work...so totally not suitable for betta IMO :(

I don't know why but for some reason the bettas' strengths seem to be challenged by weird set ups like these all the time... I can remember when I first went to buy one at the lfs and I was being sold a tiny 10cm cube and I looked at the size of the fish and the size of the cube and thought...he couldn't be happy in there!

Or the one with the plant growing out the top and the roots in the bettas tiny little water chamber and very little if no surface air.

And IMO if you are giving these things to kids it teaches them to disregard the proper care and nurturing positive aspects that pet ownership should bring ... kind of de-humanises or in this case de-fishalises them.

OOooops I think I'll just hop off my soap box now....must be waay past my bed time :(

My first thought with seeing the globe one was the same as Bettarazzi...How do they breathe?

I have seen the trucks before & wouldn't keep fish in there myself as I like my tanks to be bigger. I had never thought about whether the wheels were movable or not lol

I thought I read somewhere that betta are facultative air breathers and they can still get oxygen from the water through their gills like regular fish do. But it's not their preference...

***EDIT - sorry I originally said obligate, I meant facultative (I think)

yup they require breathing from the surface. Scientists have done tests on bettas where they removed the breathing ability of the betta. They found that the betta drowned in a matter of hours. Without access to air our babies would all die =[

yup they require breathing from the surface. Scientists have done tests on bettas where they removed the breathing ability of the betta. They found that the betta drowned in a matter of hours. Without access to air our babies would all die =[

Do you have a link to the study? It sounds like a good read :lol:

It must have been a fair few hours because I've had them stuck under a breeding net and without surface air for several days without a problem (accidentally, the thing sank and landed upside down). With good oxygenation I would have thought that they could survive for quite a while. The only saving grace of that tricky orb contraption is that the little waterfall might help cool the water somewhat and get some sort of gas exchange, though I think it is a poor match for direct lighting and a 99% closed sphere-tank.

How do you get the fish in there??? does it unscrew at the base? do you insert it through the spout??

The truck one has potential :) It reminds me of that silver Prius that the American aquarium (Monterey Bay maybe?) did up a few years back, and that big trout fishing/casting truck that they set up at fishing shows. Just much smaller.

My favourite betta 'tank' at the moment is the one that clearly states on the side "may also be used as a pencil holder". I mean, really, come on!

Bettas have evolved in water that is almost devoid of dissolved oxygen. Evolving a labyrinth organ would have been a clear survival advantage. It was then easier to use the labyrinth organ than to rely on gill function. Therefore there was decreased selection pressure to maintain efficiency of gill function. Their gills basically became useless and increasingly inefficient at extracting oxygen from water. So when bettas cannot obtain oxygen from the air, they are at risk of suffocation, especially when the oxygen content of the water is low.

This is just the logical evolutionary explanation based on the information I've collected. I hope malignau can give us that citation.

Further, have you seen how quickly bettas panic when they can't break the surface even for a short moment? This would surely stress the fish out and contribute to a faster death.

OK! I found another one, this is taking it way too far!

Image051.jpg

I actually SAW this in a shop in melbourne this week, it was high up on the shelf so I couldn't reach it to have a close look but I had my trusty Mobile to grab this picture!

Basically it holds about 500ml water tops and has a speaker underneath the "tank" you plug your Ipod or Mp3 player in to it and music comes out of the speaker...

Now the 500ml tiny container is one thing.... but having a speaker directly under it... man i feel sorry for the poor Bettas who get dealt this hand!

i like how is says very clean, and compact design.

what will they think of next indeed. this sort of product sickens me....

for more info on my oppinions go to www.freewebs.com/bettahomes.... its still in the middle of construction but you can access it at anytime to read the articles...... check it out and give us feed back via pm.

who ever designed those little things deserve to be shot.... im sorry but thats how i feel about it... exploiting the fighters ability to survive in small confined spaces..... some people are just twisted....

Archived