BlackWorms!

kitstyles

I just went to the LFS today bought 2 serve of black worms for 7$ !! so expensive... I mean they gave me the amount of what 1 serve usually be... and 7$ only last for 3-4 days -,- anyway, I want to if I could get a whole lot of blackworms at a time for cheaper?

thx,

Got a trout farm nearby??? Speak to them, they could let you have a 20L tub of 'em, probably - thats what my LFS gets their Blackworms in - I pay $2.85 per serve, and it's about four times the serve I get in a Pisces bag - however that seems to have set a standard for $2.50 - $3.50 serves...

How many fish are you feeding to in 3-4 days?? One 'serve' from my LFS fills 2, maybe 2 and a half of those worm feeder cones...

Yeah mine too .. about 2-3 cones of those feeder but I'm feeding 10 adult betta and about 30 fry , well they eat as much as the adult fish... I need to feed them 1 cone per day -.- my fish love live food... thx for the info though

Yes you can, but I'm not sure of anyone in your area. Do you have any pet shops that sell by the serve from a tank? If so, do a deal with them and see if they'll order you in 1/2L or 1/4L lots in exchange for your 'cull' bettas or something. Might not work if they haven't seen that you can produce the good though.

Do you have the facilities to keep them alive? Most likely it'd be 1/2L or 1L if you bought in bulk.

I just keep them in a plastic box and change the water everyday.... I was wondering if you need to feed them anything, if I want to keep them over a month... my LFS get new Blackworms every week, I saw they only have like a litre stock each time

Hi Fin on Blackburn Rd, Mt Waverley have them at $2.50-$2.95 a serve.

They get them in every week and keep a 2ft tank out the back. Always get little stones in the serve and some kind of food that looks grain based. Dunno what they're cultured on.

I always have the occasional fish die when feeding blackworm. Obviously some suppliers are cleaner than others.

Celeste, can you give us more details? Do you just stick em in a tank with rotting IAL in there? Do you have to change the water? Do they need heating? Or do they prefer to be cool? Is it cleaner if you grow them yourself? Do they need filtration?

they prefer to be cool and they need plenty of O2, IME. Filtration seems to help, judging from the very clean state of the BW at Auburn Aquarium, where they're in an unheated tank close to the ground (coolest place) with a big sponge filter.

i just dump a few IAL in the tank, then the worms and a corner filter set on high, they love it, and i just replace the leaves as they eat them :rolleyes: when i had to use the tank as a hospital tank the fish LOVED it, they were eating blackworms outta the leaves and even the filter for close to two weeks!

I turned off the heating and filtration for a week before I emptied a tank and they were still waggling out of the gravel, happily. They're pretty tough.

When I buy them, I keep them in the fridge with a bottle of mineral water or aged water and change the water every day. They last about three weeks that way.

I put them in my natural planted tank. They're not very good at burrowing but they do wiggle the gravel around and the slow ones feed the fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That's a bit of a bargain. I've got a not so yummy blackworm story. I discovered a jar of blackworms in the fridge the other day which I'd forgotten about. Must have been in there for about a month at least. I won't go on. I think everyone can imagine the rest of the story. Apologies to anyone reading this close to a meal time.

Archived