Community Tanks Vs Individually Jarred

When I was into bettas before ALL my Bettas be it male or female were in individual jars. Now I'm thinking of having the girls in a planted 4ft community tank but is there any major benefits of having them in a community tank Vs being in individual jars?

I'm just worried that each time I go to catch a female for spawning I'll trash the tank and stress the heck out of the girls.

Really need some advice here please :)

all my girls live in a single tank.... they're fine. they have the odd nip at each other but once they sort out a pecking order they're fine.

they're never too stressed out by my taking them out to spawn them, and when they're done spawning (or not for various reasons) I just throw them back in.

I find the girls are much happier living in a community. My extended red cambo girl used to live by herself... I thoughgt she was colourful. Then I introduced her into the tank with everyone else and damn if she didn't get a lot darker red after that! She ended up being boss of the tank lol.

The only thing you really need to do for the girls is make sure they have plenty of plants and ornaments to hide in. While they enjoy being in a community together on occaisions like like their "alone time" and will go hiding for a day or 2 from the others, then go right back to being there.

so it's all good :) hope that helps

*nods* i always keep my females in a community tank - heck, once m fry are big enough not to get eaten i toss them in there as well, male and female, until they need to be jarred. they're very happy, they make friends and stuff and hang out :)

there's never any problems removing/reintroducing females when i'm spawning them either :)

I think bettas are really easy to catch. I tend not to chase them though. I just patiently wait for them to swim into range of my net and then gently lift them out. Once they recognise you as the bringer of food they'll pretty much swim up to the front of the tank and up to the surface. That's the best time to gently pick out the one you want.

I had/have a UV filter somewhere but I can't remember what I paid for it. It requires a canister or similar to force the water through it. I think it's actually a pond UV. maybe have a look on ebay for price range?

Advantages - save space, keep all betta in warm water, dun hve to change water as often...

But I think its better to put the female that you want to breed in a indiviual tank or jar .. so she could get as much food as she can...and put the rest of the females in a big tank

Just my own opinion :)

i paid $50 for a 9W UV filter that's a submersible one for a tank (built in filter and stuff) and $45 for a 12W uv filter that i had to hook up to my powerhead filter - that powerhead does 200L/hour, so it'd be suitable for a 150L tank. i got both of those off ebay btw. however i'd maybe get a 15w uv filter if you could find one, just in case.

:D So far so good with the 3 young girls but I have to keep an eye on the biggest one which is the Royal Blue CT because she's had a go at the Red CT (from the fin damage) and been seen chasing the really young one (don't know her colour yet). All seem to be okay with frozen bloodworms now and get some several times a day. I'd like to mix it in with frozen or live BS but not enough mouths to feed yet. Can't wait until the Male and 3 girls arrive from Najrick's :D

ive got a female community tank, easyer to feed all the girlys at the same time, id rather clean one big tank then a million little ones, when i get juvies and put them in there thinking their female i come out wrong though... i pulled two males out of there last week... well... i think there males.

Archived