A. Cacatuoides

Jess

I bought a pair of A. cacatuoides on the 25/5/06. I put them in a 2ft tank on their own that has some plants and some wood. I hadn't had a chance to put in a clay pot in the tank as they were still settling in. I was feeding them a few times a day on daphnia and mozzie larvae hoping to condition them up and then try a large WC to induce spawning.

4 days after I got them I noticed the female had dug out a cave and had laid eggs! I was really excited but I knew the chance of the eggs hatching were slim as it was their first batch and I wasn't sure if the water was soft enough for them to be able to hatch.

On thursday the eggs were gone, so I thought. she must of moved them elsewhere in the tank.

Tonight when I fed the pair I was watching the baby daphnia swim around the tank and I noticed some odd shaped wrigglers, and it was indeed fry. There is 6 fry. :lol: Not a bad effort for first timers, I am stoked!!

Here is some pics, see if you can spot the fry :)

The tank

Posted Image

1 fry

Posted Image

and another..

Posted Image

the male, they don't keep still :rant:

Posted Image

I wil try to take pics of the parents tonight, well postable pics!!

you're not at all excited, hey Jess? Congratulations to you and your fishies! And look at the black water you're getting in there. But what happened to the black backing? Still looks fantastic, anyway!

Thanks guys! I am glad they like it at my house, this is my favourite cichlid and I have not kept them for over 12 months! So I am estactic to have of gotten a pair of them! Never had the chance to breed them before, so it's a new adventure with alot to learn about them. Norris, they are in the 2ft tank (second tank down on the stand) has peat in the water, but not as much as the 4ft.. which I will take photos of! Hatch bbs, hatch!!

They have a punch of personality in packed into little fish, with crested fins :cheer: They prefer planted tanks, they love peaty water (as I do) they come from the amazon which is :rolleyes: and they are not aggressive and are so compatible with me. South American cichlids are my preferred fish, follwed by live bearers, Killifish have jumped up the list in the past few months :blush:

Thanks Rob. The fry are growing fast! I stole them after the male was caught 'over cleaning them' and I didn't have somewhere to put him fast. The female is on eggs again, I will be removing the male this time :yes:

The female has another batch :whistling: about 30 or so this time! I removed the male as soon as I noticed. I have uploaded a 10sec video of the mother and her fry out an about on a little excursion :lol:

Click the pic to play (should open in a new tab)

Posted Image

They are gorgeus! Yesterday she made them hide under the roots of a vails I half uprooted the other day, and today they are back under there, ready to come out whem mummal says so! Lilli, you can't see? I will email it if you want :cheer:

You should be able to email it in whatever format, hopefully I can open a file. Every time I click the link it says "to see this you need to download blah blah - click here to download it". And I go "I already downloaded it you sumbich"!

Archived