White Crown Tails

marc

sorry guys I need some basic Genetic advice . I am very interested in producing pure white crowntails. I am inquiring about the terminology and basic genetics that have the potential to make up such a gene pool .The descriptions I have are is opaque , What does opaque mean? from light /white colors ie cambodium? Some carry red loss ? Is this cambodium trait . I read of silver eyed whitecoloured fish and black eyed whitecoloured fish. Could some one give me simple version of this colour as I am confused.

Cambodian is not white, it means white/flesh coloured body with coloured fins, I don't think they are what your after. Opaque I think means that the fins are partially see through and cello means they are clear fins (almost invisible). I don't know about red loss genetics sorry. There was once a website explaining the genetics of betta colour, I can't remember where is was. I'll try ti find it. What you need is a whilte male white female without the marble gene preferably with a white beard (I don't know if you want platinum, that's the pearly white shimmering colour).

this time I had a good look at that great site and gleamed some good info. When I look at the batch of 3 month old blue red ct x cambodium juvies I can see color and sex and tail form . looking at them is weired . there are colours in them that are white, flesh red, blue and bits of all three It was a huge spawn. Some fish I think are whiter most others are flesh.Some white have almost a light shade of light blue washed over them. If i pick the best clear whites with comb tails out and jarr them for photo could you id and advise .. I,d like to sort them out before I sell them. The idea is if they are white ct carrying females I will keep them.

yes the more i look at them and in a different light scource the less likely they appear clean white. Its those stupid standard white fluros over the tanks that give the illusion of white.Sounds like a teeth cleaning add !! Do pure white crowntails exist in australia ? have you seen them on aqua bid ?

Just went onto aquabid and these caught my eye "White platnum CT male" "Balloon opaque white mask male " and for interest "cambodium triband female" there was a couple of others but these stood out . Whats the difference with the black eye and silver eye ?

Opaques are white fish with a pearly layer over the whole fish. Opaque Balloon CT's are gorgeous. I've seen seveal on AqB and they've always been mind boggling. If you want to breed whites, I'd suggest getting an opaque or platinum pair. With the opaques, if you don't want the pearl sheen, then over a cple of generations it usually lessons and should eventually disappear with good selection. Platinums are sorta opaque, just with a metallic sheen instead of a pearly sheen :scared: HTH

Opaques are not supposed to have a sheen - they are flat white with a dense layer of .. well, powder-like opacity. Soemtimes this even covers the eyes. Platinums are dense white but with a metallic sheen. Either would give you "pure white" but there is some issue with opaques I read once, like you need to introduce a steel every few generations or you get red wash. Platinum may be the easiest approach. (PS - it's cambodian as in originated in Cambodia - not cambodium).

yeah, with opaques you do need to cross out to steel blue (tho pref a steel blue with opaque genes) as opaques are generally a blue based fish. I'd also suggest platinums if you want to go all white. (Have a look at Charntelle's Opaque x Platinum thread in the gene pool). With platinums, there is a chance you could get coppers and golds, tho if you get a platinum from an already established platinum line, then it should be fine :scared:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived