Too Many Fish

Callatya

This happened to me with my blue VTs and my last spawn. 3 spawns each consisting of over 150 fish. At least I was able to sell most of the vt females, but the vt males and all the fish of my last spawn were culled due to deformaties. Now I have barely enough bettas to enjoy - so I can't wait till my next spawn lol :)

Oh yeah, I can SO relate to what you're saying, Calli!!! These guys are just SO addictive, I bought one, then another, then another ... and before I knew it, my whole spare bedroom had been turned over to bettas, and I spent a good portion of each evening doing water changes, etc. And don't talk to me about the time spent on feeding each morning and night.... Just looking at the fry took up heaps of time, too. It all became too much like work, so I cut down on my numbers (took my females to a lfs, stopped spawning pairs). Sue

they are a lot more work when jarred and needing water changes. I find that they do best when left alone if they have a bit of room and are filtered, so I don't find them THAT much work in the sense of water changes - but feeding them all takes ages, especially when I have spawns growing up, and jarred juveniles.

I think that secret sickness is spreading .. I said diligently only four pairs to my wife, and with the red pair arriving from pat and Najina on tuesday thats my four, some of my jarred juveniles are looking so nice , I,ll have a few keepers amongst them, and the spawn tanks have fry.. I did say four breeding pairs didn't I??? He He :)

I have come to that place recently :( I now only keep 4 x 2ft tanks and 1 4ft tank now. Many, Many tanks outside :( There is the Lotto option, you know.... hire someone to do all those water changes :lol: No more bettas for me for a while, the 4 I have is enough!

I used to be there a couple of years ago when I went on a spawning frenzy. I had something like 700 bettas in the house varying in ages from mini-fry to adults. 99% of my days were taken up with feeding and wc's!! :lol: Not somewhere I will ever deliberately go again. Unfortunately I now find myself in the opposite end of the spectrum and are looking to increase my wetpets. I think I now have less than I have in well over a decade :( On the bright side it gives me a chance to rethink the direction I am heading in and alter my setups etc accordingly before restocking.

Luckily I suck at breeding

:( :( :lol::(

Yep, too many fish here, but that's mainly cause I can't get my act together and save enough money for fastway stamps to sell them :(:D Once I've gotten rid of most of the juvies I have, I think I'll stop (pfft NEVER) with buying fish (most likely just"slow down" :D )

I really want more but, yeah, it's just the amount of time that it takes to feed, change water, clean (with so many tanks) and dream of setting up another spawning tank :D :D

Oh YEAH!...add me to the list of one with too many fishies.... I was already trying to decrease my bettas when the last pair decided they were having baby-fishies EEEK! I am slowly re-designing and re-thinking my fish hobby...so that its something I can enjoy instead of dread with all those w/c's and feedings.... I too still spend waay too much time just staring at the cute juvies...also very time-consuming!

I have been there a few times. Once it starts getting to be a chore and/or I have the plastic tubs on the floor for fry growout I know I must really slow down. At that point I stop picking eggs from killifish mops, don't setup pairs to spawn and sell-off fry as early as possible. I've also made an effort to work smarter not harder and set things up to save me time in the long run. Nearly all my 2ft+ tanks have tapped hoses on them so I can drain water from a few at a time and have a handy little tapped siphon hose for the smaller ones. I also setup a system with a pump to pump fresh water into tanks rather than buckets. I now spend less time doing water changes than when I had half the tanks I do now. I know I have reached the most tanks and fish I can look after without spending EVERY spare moment looking after them. I've seen too many people go too big and then colapse under the weight of the work and stop althougher. I've always been concious of not doing that myself. My tip is consolidate your priorities and see where the most (unpleasent) time goes and see how you can cut it down. Dean

The work smarter not harder idea sounds great namezmud .. I like your idea of pump water in and out via fixed lines and a holding tank. You got me thinking mmmmmmmm."clunck" there it goes ;) . Great inspiration thanks. Their would have to be lots of things that would help every day tasks in the fish room? ..

The work smarter not harder idea sounds great namezmud  .. I like your idea of pump water in and out via fixed lines and a holding tank. You got me thinking mmmmmmmm."clunck" there it goes :cheer: . Great inspiration thanks. Their would have to be lots of things that would help every day tasks in the fish room?  ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my pleasure. I'm thinking of taking some picks and setting up a web page with tricks I've come accross that save me time. The best I have found is syphoning water from my tanks into a plastic tub and then pumping it out with a bilge pump and hose. No more carrying buckets for me ;)

Dean

I've decided that i want fish to be fun again. I'm cutting right back, like lots :lookaround: I'll keep 1 x 4', 1 x 2', and the AR380. give some fish to mum and dad for their tabnk, and find the rest homes :o Whoa. big step for me but I don't want to let it get to the "i hate fish, they are so much work" stage. I'd rather just cut back and enjoy :o And this way can sprea them around the house:):D

Enjoyment is the reason most people start with fish. I love nothing better than to sit back just look. When something you love becomes a chore its definitely time to re-evaluate the way your going about it. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing ( :o OMG did I really just say that!! :lookaround: )

I got to the "I hate fish" stage with my 2 VT spawns. I only just touched on it, but I got to that stage and I didn't like it at all. [ Edit: I should clarify that those were huge spawns and I was in the midst of moving house and their maintanance became unbearable. That's why I reached the "I hate fish" stage. I don't anymore :) ] But you know, I actually enjoy having some work to do with my bettas :)

I have been trying to decrese my fishies but my Oscar barely seems to be making any progress for me :balloons: ... He's sposed to be helping me out with those excess fry (the kids love feeding him a few fry)... I have yet to notice any less fry tho...there still seems to be over 100 of them all gathering at the front for a feed :balloons: ...

Archived