Metallic Rainbow

najrick

Hi all,

In the chat room the other night I mentioned we had some nice bettas coming out of a cross between a C/G HM male and Red SD 8 ray girl. Well here's some photos of our largest lad. He's nearly 2 months old now and if he isn't already a HM he soon will be. Even have fingers crossed for an OHM :)

Unfortunately I couldn't get his true colour in the photo but these two come pretty close. Maybe because I took the photos and not Najina :blink:

Anyway it was my experiment in colour so I guess they're my babies :yes:

He has a band of colour on the inside of his fins that makes him look like a tri-band in the right light. Funnily enough no Copper or Gold and little to no red :blink:

He started off with copper body and red fins as are most of his siblings but that looks like being replaced by a blue sheen :yes:

Anyway love his dorsal which comes from the red line we have.

And yes once again he is only 2 months old

:cheer:

Cheers,

Pat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's really hard to say what they'll be. I am hoping that a few keep the deep red that they are showing in the fins because it is truly bizarre with a solid copper body. But this guy started off like that and he lost the red fins and the copper body. So I wouldn't be suprised to see them all go multi. I'm looking forward to his siblings growing up a bit to see what they look like. Najina thought I was mad when I suggested mixing the two colours but I was so sick of C/G, Reds and Blues at the time that I wanted to try something a little different. I have no idea if I'll try to breed them but will see how they turn out first. This guys an aggro little thing too. I had him flaring along side a Red HM to take the photo and the Red was twice his size. But that meant nothing to this little fellah. Pat.

Absolutely gorgeous little boy! I love the dorsal.

I got a similar result from crossing that redblack OHM F with a copper black DT. Very few of the fry still have red on them. most are this black lace sort of colour with blue iridesence.

Nick was saying that the base colour of metallics is steel, maybe that explains where the steel came from.

I love this fish!

And 2 months old, colour me jealous!

Do you have any pics of the ones with the copper/red colour Pat?

I'll see what I can do Phil. Unlike Najina I don't like taking photos. My patience levels aren't high enough for me to go through the frustration of taking good shots. I was just lucky yesterday with the few photos I took.

Pat.

Very interesting fish Pat :) Has this line got red-loss in it? That could explain why they are losing their red. Nice dorsal! DT carrier? I think you should continue this line with them. I wonder if you will get G/G Reds in F2... Remember you are crossing an irid line that also has C/G, to a non irid red line. Your were bound to get multies, only this time your multies are stranger due to metallic influence.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is one of his brothers. As he was kept in the barracks instead of being individually jarred he is more what I would call a normal size 10 week old boy.

I have taken his pic with and without the flash so you can see some of him amazing colours. I just love these little fellas and their form is just getting better and better with age. :)

Najina

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. This is Patrick's pet project as I though putting copper/gold and red together would be disastrous. Oh well I will admit that I was wrong and that they are kind of cute. :rolleyes: Will just have to see how they grow. Najina

Archived