Posting Bettas

i dont have any fish to sell just yet but im curiouse as to how you would send them to buyers. i live in Australia so does anyone know where i can get supplies for this (small eskies perhaps), how much it costs to send them and if there are any documentations required for sending live fish.

A quick use of the search button turned up these links:

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14447&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12186&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11996&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14447&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14193&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

As for fish bags, you can buy them from eBay or your local fish shop. LFS will sell perfect Betta sized bags and she will post them out wherever you are in Australia. I use foam boxes from the fruit and veg shop. They are free and can be cut down to size. I use express post satchels to send my Bettas (after being bagged and boxed up) and never had a problem. I've sent a few fish to WA. On average it costs about $15 - $20 to ship up to 6 Bettas this way (it's been a while, can't remember exact amounts.)

i dont have any fish to sell just yet but im curiouse as to how you would send them to buyers. i live in Australia so does anyone know where i can get supplies for this (small eskies perhaps), how much it costs to send them and if there are any documentations required for sending live fish.

Here you go...

http://www.polyfoam.com.au/foam-polystyrene.php?2-LITRE-BOX-LID-512

I think it's $190 for 60, maybe organize a group buy and split costs?

Unfortunately they don't have a branch in perth maybe organize it to be posted if feasible?

Edited by Chi

There are manufacturers in Perth that can supply the boxes that Chi has given you a link to. I got my fish bags from IBC but as jarrod said Jodie would be your best bet for the bags as she will have the correct size.

cheers

les

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread for a couple of reasons:

1: some really good links here on how to do things

2: Had some conflicting information about shipping fish :confused:/>

I sent an email to Australia Post asking about the shipment of live fish by any means. Their response:

Hi Brenton,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about sending your Siamese Fighting Fish interstate. I can certainly provide you with some more information.

Australia Post do not accept live fish in the mail and unfortunately I do not have any information about how you may send them.

I hope that this information has clarified the matter.Please let me know if you have any further questions. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you further.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX | Digital Sales and Service | Australia Post

Online Services Consultant

But - I happened to be in our local post office on the weekend and know the couple who run quite well, so I asked them about policy and possible solutions. In 30 years, they are unaware of any policy on the shipping of live fish. They went on to tell me they ship flowers with water and massive amounts of olive oil through the post so they couldn't see a problem. They suggest the item have written on it 'WATER CONTENT' so the mail room boys dont treat it like a frisbee.

They went on to suggest I look at using a large postal tube, cut down to size with some sort of home made insert in the end and well taped. Apparently they are extremely tough - I will be experiementing with this soon. They suggested using dacron as a filler which doesn't add much in the way of weight and will absorb any small leaks (perish the thought). They strongly recommended double bagging (of course).

They also pointed out, that if the bag did break, and water spilled, then I would be liable for any other mail it came into contact with and damaged. This could be letters or someone's antique clock they shipped on the cheap. Fines and mayhem would ensue.

So, if you've had success with Parcel Express, or another method, then keep doing what you're doing. If you're just getting into it, have a chat with your local Post Master, they may be able to add to the wealth of knowledge presented in this thread.

As I experiment and find new links/ways of doing it, I'll update here.

hey brenton

in the terms and conditions auspost does say they dont accept any live animals besides silkworms, invertebrates and bees.

that being said its luck of the draw alot of people send via auspost and never get caught or face repercussions. but sometimes you will.

i personally have a friend whose parcel got detained for breaking the terms and conditions and it was quite a mess not just in terms of a fine but in terms of him getting his fish back since they would not send them on or back to him.

long story short if you blatently write live fish on them. expect to get a few calls regarding it.

if you write fragile or water content you'll be better of but it is against the t and c's.

we have sent via auspost but after a few issues time wise and with tracking (for four days tracking said they were where we dropped them of on tuesday) not to mention price its not worth it. we will be sending via courier from now on which is not as expensive as youd think if you are willing to pay for more than 1 postage at a time. (5 min) we can get up to 5 kg posted for approximately $13 2 day delivery time nationally.

as for packing we always use a polyfoam box this is to reduce temperature fluctuations and loss/gain. last thing you need is your fish boiling in the post in summer or freezing in winter.

in winter we also pack with a handwarmer. these react with oxygen and can heat for up to 72 hours (hottest temp in 52C in direct contact.

when packing fish we use 1/3 clean water to 2/3 air

do not feed fish for 24 hrs prior to sending to reduce the amount of waste they may produce in the bag hence keeping water quality higher for longer.

we bag them, tie them, then invert this bag into a second bag.

this ensures if our bag leaks it will be contained even if the box is not facing up.

finally you pack around them the fish will move enough in the water without being thrown around the box as well.

box is sealed up well. lots of tape to keep the lid on and we tape the joins to prevent leaks.

hope that helps you a bit

fastaways its not 100% allowed but pretty much its if you do it its at your own risk so dont try to claim DOA/damages on them if you send em

11.3The Carrier does not accept for carriage livestock, second-hand car parts, perishables, flowers or plants, cash or other negotiable instruments, jewellery, cigarettes or tobacco products, irreplaceable items or other such valuables. Items of the abovementioned, consigned by the Consignor via the Carrier shall be deemed to be at Owner’s Risk and in such cases the Carrier strongly advises the Consignor to arrange its own coverage for loss or damage.

they do 5kg satchels (46cm by 60cm) for about $13 or so when you buy 10. they can fit a smallish poly box and its 2 days delivery nationally

The thing I don't like about Fastway is having to pre-pay several hundred dollars. And they have sent my parcels to the wrong state a couple of times. Just seems like bad service no matter which way you go. How is it that eBay sellers can send stuff from Hong Kong to Melbourne tracked for a fraction of what it would cost me to send a registered envelope to the the next suburb? If I send a gift to a friend overseas though, the postage is usually twice as much as the present.

The thing I don't like about Fastway is having to pre-pay several hundred dollars..... How is it that eBay sellers can send stuff from Hong Kong to Melbourne tracked for a fraction of what it would cost me to send a registered envelope to the the next suburb? If I send a gift to a friend overseas though, the postage is usually twice as much as the present.

Agreed - it stinks. I've had another chat with my friends at the post office in light of all this, and with a nod and a wink, they suggest I still look at using tubes and writing water content on it - and leaving it at that. In the not-too-distant future, I'll be sending out some test runs with just bags containing water to see if I can tie the bags right, and get the packing right. maybe in the next month or so...I'll be looking for volunteer receivers :)

We will receive no problem consider temperature though which is why I said poly box both heat and cold will kill

Also with fastaway they do 5kg satchels now which are $13 each and you have to buy ten at once. I've heard complaints about pretty much every courier or post option so really you it need to weigh pros and cons of each not to mention risk .

Maddy - much appreciated for the offer.

I'm considering doing something like what you do and using polystylrene within a larger Express Post parcel - with plenty of padding and tape.

If it costs a little more and people arent willing to cover the cost, then so be it. I have local sellers lined up already, and we keep cruising around on weekends to check out the competition, and we're not overly impressed with some that are out there.

Once I've got my last couple of tanks, to allow me to rotate a couple of spawns through at a time, then I'll organise the postal side of things.

AFR - yep, I've had three deliveries so far, all through Express Post, and all arrived without a scratch on them. My local Post Master says I should be fine using it - so as long as I get the packaging process right, there should be no problems ;)

• 3 months later...

As there has been a question about this on FB, I'll update. I sent a test package to Perth. A culture of VE to Sara. From all reports, it arrived safe and sound. I double bagged and put it into a polystyrene box and then taped the thing as if it was going round the world. Slipped it into a Postal Express satchel and $15 later it was off to the land of Sand Gropers :)

Next parcel will be fish with heat packs :)