Advice or ideas......

Fletch

Just scored two new 2ft tanks (thanks Pete). Same old question, what do I put in them??

Still need to rearrange the room to accommodate them but......

I am thinking shellies, maybe Apistos. Even electric yellows but would prefer egg layer over mouth brooder. :-)

Ideas????

Try Altolamprologus Compressiceps 'Sumbu Shell' they are the dwarf version of the alto comps/calvus. They are lovely fish and are more $$$ than their larger cousins, well at least here in sydney. Or neolamprologus ocellatus orange I use to have these as well, they are easy to keep and bred. Both types are dwarf cichlids and will make shells their home.

Matt?? Suggesting saving the yellows (5") for a bigger tank but it's okay for calvus(6") and compressiceps (10") and Julis (3-5")? :blink: Or did I read that wrong...

Love love love Apistogrammas but they are highly sensitive to water changes. Your new water MUST be aged and parameters matched. Similar but hardier species; Kribensis, there's a few different varieties so don't pass them over if you don't like the first one you see. Golden Dwarf Cichlids or anything really from the Nannacara family. Rams.

Others that haven't been suggested yet or I just skim read too fast: Checkerboard Cichlids, Sparkling Gouramis, Chocolate Gouramis, Licorice Gouramis (gorgeous but good luck sourcing any, someone might be able to help), Egyptian Mouthbrooders, Croaking Gouramis, nano marine tank (hint hint), you could maybe squeeze in some Neo. Brichardi. Pacific/Spotted/Delicate/Honey etc Blue Eyes. Werneri. I might think of more later.. lol

Adrian at Exotic Aquatic has licorice gouramis and he ships. I asked about them as being a legal import and then the next week he had some in stock. There were still some there when I went there on Sunday.

Beautiful little fish and I was actually going to recommend them!

Have you just thought about doing an interesting smaller schooling fish. someone had some beautiful rasbora and tetras in stock. Celestial pearl danios are very nice as are Microrasbora erythromicron.

Any reason you aren't using those wonderful size tanks for wild bettas? You could easily fit most species into a tank of that size (my unimaculata pair live and spawned in their 45cm tank) and they are such low maintenance. I just feed and clean and they seem to take care of themselves.

Ok. Where I am at is this, I already have lots of tanks and am pushing the limit as it is, I was thinking Shellies or Electric yellows as both are quite happy with a pretty basic tank, sand, shells, few small rocks for shellies and bare bottom with rock structure for yellows. My friend breeds lots of electric yellows in a tiny tank, strips the male and raises fry seperate. More commercial than enjoyment. Not doing this. :-(.

Apistos really need planted aquarium which needs lights (got some LEDs coming soon from Davo) but much more involved to setup. My wife may just kill me if I was to go down this road. Still might though. Lol

Don't forget I have a 3ft planted tank with lots of tetras ect as well. Love all the ideas everyone, keep em coming as I still haven't decided. :-).

Edited by Busman

Matt?? Suggesting saving the yellows (5") for a bigger tank but it's okay for calvus(6") and compressiceps (10") and Julis (3-5")? :blink: Or did I read that wrong...

Ahhh my bad, I did not realize calvus got that big!! The dwarf comps would do well though wouldn't they? And wouldn't a pair of one of the smaller julies be ok in a tank that size?

I was errrr... Testing you, you passed ;)

Paul, couldn't you go for the black water look with sand and lots of driftwood and tannins and completely forgo the plants?

Edited by Matt_95

I think java moss would suffice in an apistogramma tank. That requires next to no light and a small amount provides lots of cover. Most of the apisto tanks I have seen online have only had a very sparse amount of plants and instead have used driftwood, leaf litter and clay caves/hides for cover instead.

I would think like most fish from darker waters they would show off their colours best in a dimly lit aquarium anyway.

I am in no way an apistogramma expert, have just been doing research lately on an apistogramma forum :lol:

Hey Paul

I will go with Apistogramma like WN said Java moss but i would add flame moss to some of the drift wood you could even go so far as realy nice mangrove root as a centre feture I am sure jodie has a fare bit at the shop I like the idea of a tanin stained look and with the russit tones it would show of the Apisto ammazingly. Oh my god I think I might even try a tank myself. This is what happens when I read your threads LOL

Cheers

Les

@Jarrod......you better hide buddy, bloody convicts, not now, not EVER.

I really want a fish with a bit of character. Would prefer egg layer as interesting to watch the breeding process and my kids can watch the whole thing. Was leading toward cichlids for this reason. Macs of course would be considered but not really affordable at this stage. Killies are not my cup of tea, too fiddly with eggs ect. Would much prefer something with maternal instincts as well. :-)

At this stage we have Apistos in tank decorated with wood and rocks, Shell dwellers in basic setup.

Anything else.

@Matt: No personal experience with dwarf comps, never even seen them so I couldn't say either way. Small species of Juli's (Ornatus or Dickfeldi varieties) would be okay but it would be hard (in this area anyway) to find a mature pair which means buying a tank full of youngsters and letting them pair off.

@Bussy: Matt's suggestions are good ones re; smaller Julidochromis Ornatus or Dickfeldi (there are many variations within these two groups) would be suited. They're an egg laying cave spawner.

Also consider the Neo. Brichardi varieties for great parental instincts and they are a shoaling fish too, happy in a group or start off with a pair and let them multiply. They're another egg laying 'cave spawner' however I've seen plenty spawn without any actual caves. Both are simple fish happy with some sand and rock structures.