Showing local fish verse imports.

Fletch

I'll be honest, I'm going to the thing I'm good at and dive head-long into a conversation that is probably thicker and stranger and kind of banging-head-upon-brick-walls than I'm prepared for.... but hey, it's Friday!

As far as I can decipher, this thread was originally about showing and the points system that we tried to encourage breeders and showers (with their local and imported fish) it worked too btw.
There was a fear early on that if we had international shows, that the Aussies would never win anything. Looking back at our event, and I'm sure Queensland's event, the Aussie owned fish held up well enough - and the Aussie Bred fish (albiet few entrants) all got a good look at...

There is a strange opinion that has surfaced about the VB vs BA attitude, which from the VB perspective is two hundred packets of bum dust.

Let's reel it back a little shall we?

It all started here, on the lonesome forum, someone was the one with the pretty fish and the credentials, The Queensland mob had the tanks without the heaters and the killer growth rates, and the Vic gang had meets happening in halls with dated decor... it was all pretty basic.
When we got together, we talked about form, we showed our fish in unofficial table shows, and we posted pics of them on the forum.
Brissy was doing the same, and we were all encouraging each other.

(Forgive my simplistic run-down, but I am still struggling to see where the nark evolved & what the point actually is)

So fast forward a bit, the clubs grew a bit, the shows got bigger and some numpties from Melbourne got on a plane after a thousand emails and a thousand hours learning a big long handbook, and got themselves qualified... IBC thought it was tops, we thought it would promote the community, perhaps take some of the pressure off someone who was the sole judge ...and we got on with it.

We don't think we're king, we think we're learning, ya kna?
This is the first part of our judging careers - you know, the kind of "careers" where it pays you nothing, you learn a bunch of stuff, you work to maintain it, you host shows, you work long hour days to judge, you argue, you tolerate five thousand opinions, you play diplomat, you field endless questions and you keep on doing it because you really really like one specific kind if fish... all without giving up because there is too much ignorant and arrogant politics.

hmmmm
Sounds rewarding, right?

We organized our show the second we stepped off the plane.We invited someone because we respected her knowledge, as well as a nod to her contribution to the betta community. We didn't need to, we wanted to.
See that word? That Dirty R word... yeah... I used it.
Watch out, I'm about to keep using it.

So a bunch of conversations happened (I find it ironic that this all blossomed after the real 'competitive' element entered into people's radars) and a bunch of false information, as well as a bunch of real information happened... understanding and misunderstanding. But at the meets, the conversations, the general attitudes in the VB gang didn't change. Sure, we see how you guys are doing we're interested - but it's hardily b!tchy.
We're adults, no?

So while the QLD gang are grouping, regrouping getting their positions in order, we wish you all the best. I've said exactly that to the members list. I've also approached and voiced my disappointment in the misunderstanding that VB don't like QLD. Actually that really **** me off.
Firstly, we have no reason for that - you guys do your thing, we do ours... the fun part of all of that, is that the clubs run independently. So what's the point?

We earn, gain and achieve nothing by being in conflict with interstate clubs, there aren't gang colours, we don't get loud motorbikes to ride around on, and I'm pretty sure nobody's given me a gun (yet.)
I'm a good shot on a .22 - just sayin'.

WA have a FB banner that I designed, SA have our support and if we could hear a TAS voice we'd happily catch up and voice our support... The judges (including myself) are all willing to travel to enable IBC sanctioned shows, we want everyone to move forward... why wouldn't we?
I keep it pretty simple - if there are more clubs, there are more fish, there are more breeders, there are more people showing, there are more fish - and I get me some better Betta.
Whatswrongwiththat?

So sure, there's going to be inter-personal differences, I can't help that. If people are rude or do dumb stuff - that's going to happen!
But pointless politics is something I had a gut-full in pony club as a kid, I didn't put up with it then, and have no time for in adulthood.
This is getting ranty, I think it's because I'm back on the forum... I haven't been here in ages. I can taste the nostalgia.

Bla bla, I've lost my point.
But I'm mildly irritated about the whole thing- if one group of people are unsteady, it really doesn't ripple through the borders and infiltrate others.
I'm going to put my hand up and say I'm done with all the interpersonal rubbish, if there's agro with me, come talk - I'm open and I don't feel defensive... pretty sure I'm on fifty channels of social media, so I'm hardily difficult to find.
If you're pissy with the VB club - address it with senior members, or get over it... we like hangin out talkin fish - this is probably because we don't really like talking about/to people.
If you want to know what we think as a group, we think it's nice to hang out with fish people on our days off, but really - it's fun. We keep it light.
Those that don't keep it light in our club are wasting their energy. Go breed some fish and prove you're good at something worthwhile.. or build a house or something.

So after all that, I'm going to shrug, wonder why things have to get political, why plant seeds of doubt? Do people still really love drama? Why sabotage a good thing? Not getting enough stimulation in your own life? I'm going to drive home from work thinking about what cool thing I'm going to paint my mate who'se 4th birthday it is tomorrow, and wonder what size posters I should order for the next show.... you know, dumb fun stuff that isn't psycho negative.

Call me a hippy but It's not that hard to lighten up, may I suggest we all give it a crack?

I won't presume to speak on behalf of any individual or group of people. I don't understand why others keep bringing issues of conflict to the fore. I'm over conflict, both imagined and real. I just want to breed and show my fish and share my hobby with others. I am not as vocal online anymore due to work and personal commitments. Nothing more, nothing less. I always take the time to help anyone who contacts me personally, as many people will attest.

This thread originally came about because somebody bought up on a show thread (again, more than 12 months old) that they would not support a show that was not 100% locally Australian bred. Rather than hijack the thread with that subject, this one was created. I am still confused as to why this thread has been dug up and used this way. The Aussie show scene is alive and well and will only continue to grow.

Let's just leave the second hand gossip at the door, don't drum up conflict where there is none and have fun.

:plakat:

• Like 1

Ok - apologies if I've ruffled any feathers or fins. The idea was to highlight what people wanted to do way back when, and hopefully reaffirm the goals of all chapters, and those who marshal them. Not interested in getting into any politics of any nature...

Again - sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way.

To 'reaffirm my opinion' on the matter,

I still think it's a bit cheeky to show fish you haven't bred and raised yourself, and that will always be how I feel. I think Australia has enough access to quality stock (both wilds and domestics) nowadays that there is really no excuse. Looking back to when I responded on this thread, I still feel it is a rather hollow victory to show fish that you have not bred. I mean what is the point really? I know people say it is to have fun, but surely you can have more fun at a show when the fish being judged are ones that you have put 100% of the effort into?

I know this is most likely not a popular opinion, but I had thought with the introduction of IBC sanctioned shows there would be incentive for more people to get serious with their breeding and take it to that next level.

I am very active on a couple of American based forums and the opinion there seems to be that it is wrong to show fish you have not bred. In fact one of their leading breeders was very disgruntled to have the accusation levelled at her that she was showing imports.

It just highlighted to me the difference in attitudes. I think the betta scene in Australia is strong enough to stand on its own merits. Through someone we have had hundreds of high quality pairs bought into this country, but why aren't we working beyond the F1 generation and starting to create some cracker lines of our own? That has always been my ultimate goal with my wilds much as circumstances would like to dictate otherwise.

I am not having a personal go at any member of this forum. However, I would like to one day see shows where every fish entered has been bred and raised by the person entering it.

As to what was posted in the last few posts, this is why I don't do clubs. Too much behind the scenes politics, cliquishness and bullshit goes on. Seems like that happens in every club whether it's my mum's dog club or my grandfather's fishing club and so to all those who want to know why I never attend meetings, this is your answer.

I'm quite inclined to agree with you Ash... it's a delicate one too when identifying what fish you have bread and bought - once we get bigger, how the hell are we going to be able to tell?
As for the F1 and beyond - I've only taken a line to F3 and found the difference between the parents and the great grandkids, mostly disappointing.

The clique is unavoidable, and as such (while I hate that you don't join us so we can pick your brain) I completely understand why one would withdraw from the social element. I'm nearly there myself.

Brenton - I'll ruffle back with respect.. when I hear about being snipered on the grassy knoll, bitchiness and pi$$ing contests, it's hard not to react.
I respond to that sort of language because it's provocative.

But at the end of the day - while our club is cruisy, enjoyable and a pretty relaxed environment to show fish, share experiences and incubate new arrivals in... I'll keep going back.
I wonder how strange it must be to arrive at a fish meet with tensions high and knowing your ears have been burning the week beforehand.
If other clubs can't keep their excitement in their pants, well, good luck to 'em... I dont want anything to do with it.

I hope the rest of the VB gang hold the same opinion.

Time to get back to water changes and reality I say (: :halfmoon:

With the Aussie IBC show scene well and truly up and running, you will start to see a rise in locally bred fish. For some, the announcements of the two shows this year was not enough time to breed and raise their own fish. As for next year, there is no excuse ;)

With some great international AND locally bred Bettas up for auction at the VB show and for sale at the BA show, there was no excuse not to get some great quality breeding stock to breed a show winner or two next year.

Shows are great opportunities to see the latest trends and colour/forms that are coming through and an excellent time to display your hard work and see what others are working on. Also, the auctions and sales are a good way to inject some new blood into your breeding lines and promote the hobby.

As for the rest, meh. I'm here for the fish :D

I wonder if everyone is aware that with the IBC points system only fish exhibited by the breeder are eligible for end-of-year awards. Someone's probably said it earlier in the thread but it's probably worth repeating. I think this is a reasonable compromise which allows people new to the hobby to participate while recognising the efforts of breeders.

Good point 'Razzi :)

As you need to be an IBC member to show in the open classes anyway, I recommend all IBC members take advantage of the resources available to us in the Better Bettas Yahoo group. You will find all show related info and more in the files section. From the points system, show standards right through to past issues of FLARE! (the May/June edition had some great articles on shows and showing your Bettas) and spawn log templates. Any questions, either post them on here, on one of the IBC related sites on facebook, contact one of your friendly local IBC affiliated clubs, or the IBC itself. Somebody out there will be more than willing to help.

I realize that many people are new to showing and the IBC. This is a great time to do a little research while growing out your spring/summer spawns and waiting for the next announcement of an IBC show :D

• Like 1

Yeah the IBC points thing was really exciting for me showing my colgate spawns, while they didn't stop the show by any means, I still get points!
Part of me says meh, I just want to buy shmexy fish and show a few, but the other part of me (that clearly has more say) has three pairs in the spawn tank as I type.

So you know, fight it all I might, there will be more MB kids at shows next year!

Sounds like there will be some IBC shows before mid-year, so start conditioning your breeding stock I reckon.
-Ness

Yup, "my" "line" of Smaragdina are now in four States, and I think one Territory. Yet I've only personally sold to W.A.

So peoples, when looking for fresh genes, might be worth doing a little research to find out where the new genes originated from.