5 HM dead

afr3178

I came home from work today and checked on my 9 fighters that are sharing a 2 foot tank. I had newspaper dividing them so they couldn't see eachother. I think that killed the 5- my 5 best :( I'm really upset about it. I had a gorgeous violet BF HM that I have been looking for a female for which I was most devistated about. I had a white, blue, red, turquoise and the violet BF HM- all HM.

Was it the newspaper?

I guess I'll be spending some more cash- I have 2 DTHM that I've been interested in, but I'll probably only get one and a CT- im trying to decided between orange or yellow, thoughts??

I'm trying to move forward and not be too upset- I would like to learn from this too. I'm just more angry then anything. It's so frustrating.

I didn't think newspaper would do anything... I thought it would all be fine :( I really regret it...

Thanks for the link :) at least I know that's what caused it. Also, I didn't know what else to use as a divider... From the stuff that I had at home.

Lachie - the newspaper is not left in the tank once filled, so any chemicals leaching would be at an absolute minimum. I would imagine after a long period of time the paper would start to break down and leach whatever chemicals were used during manufacture.

afr3178, I am sorry for your loss. I hope it doesn't discourage you from replacing them one day... I for one use the plastic craft mesh. I'm even contemplating using it to construct a moss wall divider one day (got too many plans in my head *lol*)

Sorry for your loss afr3178. How did you hold the newspaper in place?

Joan has some good advice about the take away containers. You can buy packs of five containers from Woolworths for really cheap. You can use a lighter to heat a piece of metal (I used a drill bit) to push a couple of holes through the lids without splitting them. Or you can buy some 2 litre jars for $3 each and place them in a heated tank for your bettas.

shadoh that's a really good idea. What moss were you considering using? What mosses grow well on a vertical wall?

Sorry for your loss Adam, everyone makes mistakes, I tried using canvas craft mesh in a tank, it turned the water all gluey, luckily I hand't introduced fish yet.

Jarrod, you could use gutter guard, it's best if you slope it so the top doesn't outgrow the bottom, denser mosses are best, Xmas and peacock are good, so is fissidens but it takes aggeeessss.

Thanks for the support everyone :)

Sorry about your 2, Chi. I'll take your advice ;)

Honestly, at first I was like I'm never going to get anymore fighters. Then, maybe just a pair or two. I dont want to end up with a lot again, I really want to get this orange CT pair. I haven't really got any other ideas as to what I really want.

I'll take your advice with the divider. I'll probably end up getting plastic craft mesh as some of you said.

@Briztoon, where can I get the $3 jars from? Woolworths too? I just placed the newspaper around the jars...

Thanks again everyone.

You can get some great jars at reject shop, go lo and those $2 bargain stores (got 50 800ml plastic takeaway containers for like $10 to seperate my juveniles) they also have glass jars for cheap.

Edited by Chi

OK, I'm thick, I'm not understanding. Was the newspaper in the water as a divider, or in between jars? How did the chemicals from the newspapers get in to the water?

Check out the cheap stores, if you know what I mean. If you hunt around you can find cheap plastic and glass jars.

I am so sorry for your loss! I hope you are able to get that pair you really like, and have no more bad luck.

Just curious- will the fish flair through the plastic craft mesh? I'm looking at dividing a tank myself.

@Briztoon- the fish were in jars in a tank and so they couldn't see eachother I put newspaper in the water around the jars. The 'jars' were drink bottles with the top and bottom cut off.

I'll go to some cheap stores soon and see if I can get some jars. Thanks for the help everyone :)