10g JEBO ideas

Figure_8

I have the sweetest little JEBO with no idea on what to do with it. I bought it because it is a nice compact white unit that I can keep in my kitchen (on top of my freezer) without GB complaining its an eyesore. Eventually the idea is to have a matching one on the fridge (since the fridge & freezer are a set its only right :P ) I'm lucky in that the fridge and freezer set I have don't produce the heat that others tend to do and I've never had any problems with them affecting the water temp of any tanks I keep up there. Only draw back is I have no idea what to put in there. I would prefer to forgo the heater in an effort to keep power cords to a minimum up there, so am looking towards cold water fish - something I haven't kept in over 10yrs :D Bearing in mind I live in WA, so really cold cold water species are going to be a problem. The other issues I can see is the water flow & lighting. It's got quite a strong current, so any fish that prefer still water would definitely find it very stressful and the lights don't seem all that bright (to me) so I would be surprised if I can grow anything that requires more than 'low light' levels regardless of what the lable on the the box said. ok so a quick run down... 10g (40L) tank built in filter & powerhead (can add airstream if desired) light (of some wattage.. no idea should really pull it apart and check) fairly strong current no heater My ultimate goal is to have something pretty to look at while we eat meals at the table & while I'm cooking in the kitchen (which is several hours a day). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm drawing a total blank. I currently have no substrate in mind either, so any suggestions would be great for that too. My 4ft has black medium sized riverstones which are fabulous, but I would like something different in this tank. TIA!

I've got an unheated bowl with a little air filter, housing one guppy and 3 white clouds. They seem to thrive on benign neglect and are perfectly happy. What about some of the smaller Australian natives? You could have 4 Melanotaenia fluviatilis or nigrans, or a nice little school of Pacific blue-eyes. They would be fine in an unheated indoor tank.

Their eyes are blue all the time. The breeding males can get some quite pretty yellow-orange colour in their fins, too. They're cool little fish. Availability seems to be pretty variable, but when they're around they're usually dirt cheap (well up here, anyway :) ). The lfs's sell them as pond fish, to help keep the mozzies down.

a lfs trawls was sparked off today by a sudden desire to go into a lfs I was going past. The first place had absolutely nothing I wanted, but it did get me motivated to go to a few places that I knew would :D In the end I came home with the whitish river sand for substrate and some white clouds. There was no pacific blue-eyes to be had anywhere, and only 1 place had the white clouds so they were the winner :) I still need some driftwood and some java fern, but have put some water sprite in there "for now" I'll take some pics when it isn't so murky :)

I was beginning to think I was never going to find anything, so went into the tropical section instead of the cold water section to see what I could find for my 4ft instead and lo! White Clouds! :) They look awesome in the jebo. Thanks so much for all the adivce and help guys!

Archived