Catching girls from heavily planted tank.

Fletch

I have been a little worried about getting girls out of my community tank. Very thick with plants.

These girls have solved my problem. I can pick them up by hand. No kidding.

I have seen then actually out of the water, on top of weed. This is whenever I open the lids.

c0e11cba.jpg

This girl was on her side, eyeball above waterline, following my movements. Love the open mouth.

445c25e4.jpg

45263704.jpg

My girls do this too! It's fantastic.. especially useful in the spawn tank, makes taking girls out easy.

To be honest, I tend to catch more fish with my hands, than I do with nets. Even with my tetras, rams and endlers... but those aren't really trained, they just think I'm giving them food.

Smart A#*$! Looks like some of the photos some Thai breeders use to show off their fish...

Now, put the fish back and hide from the animal rights activists that will be marching up to your house with pitchforks and flaming torches. It was nice knowing you....... *lol*

With a decent sized net I reckon I could catch 80% of my fish in one go at feed time. Lol. Not like these guys starve. Only tetra tank I know that gets live bbs, blackworms frozen bloodworms ect. :-)

i wish my ruddy bristlenose were that easy to catch! I had to dismantle a 3 foot tank just to catch the little dingos.

then i moved the tank as opportunity knocked and i found myself with an empty tank (oops)

...lots of oops at my house at the moment.

They're lil characters !

I discovered last week that my girls do this too. They already followed my hand because they know that's where the food comes from and the other day the just swam into the palm of my hand. And I could lift them out of the water. They all do it but some are more willing than others.

I also enjoy the fact that betta are so inquisitive they swim into your hand. Females seem to be more likely to do it too.

Just one concern Paul... fish "wanting" to be out of water is a worry. Please check that your water parameters are OK. I lost an entire spawn to what was probably a huge ammonia spike. The first sign was that the fry stuck themselves onto the glass above the water line to get out of the water.

Hey Paul

My girls love to sleep on top of the Riccia, At first I was alarmed when I found one there but now they take it in turns and somtimes two will be there together. There isnt anything wrong with the water as it happens in some of my other tanks. its just somthing they like to do. I recon the lazy be-arches cant be botherd swimmimg half the time:giggle:

Cheers

Les

PS I have a boy who wedges himself between the heater and the side of the tank and I sware he is asleep. he has always done this

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what goes through their heads, I have a female alone in a 50 litre tank, she is very spoiled I have been adding plants and driftwood and she gets so exited. She seems to be very affectionate with the roots of a philodendron that is growing out of the water it forms a sort of cradle right next to the filter and that is where she parks herself its also the closest to where I sit and she stares at me lol. And she also likes the outlet pipe of the filter it trickles down the side of the tank and makes some bubbles and she hangs around it trying to eat the bubbles and she gets into the water flow... goes for a ride then shoots back up and does it again... and again and again these are really funny fish then she goes and attacks random stuff in the tank for no obvious reason.