Another death week

Em

It hasn't been a good week at all for me. :) First Oogie Boogey, my grizzle guy from Vicki passed away.. I think he never really got over getting attacked in the spawning tank. The next day I awoke to find Lazen, my first betta has passed away, from old age I suspect. Then a pet shop girl finally passed after looking sick for a while, she had pineconing so I knew there wasn't much I could do. Then today one of my copper gold girls passed away, poor thing must've been picked on in the ladies tank cause she had no tail at all. Here's hoping I have a LOT better luck in 2006. Can't stand all these burials.

Make that eight. Christmas Eve: One of my Imbellis died. Christmas Morn: Last remaining coppergold girl found dead when I woke up. Christmas Afternoon: Bossie and Red found dead. (Two LFS fish)I think it was the 40+ weather the day before that brought on their unfortunate deaths. Even if they were in the coolest room in the house with air flow. Has anyone else had a few deaths due to the recent heat wave? It's times like this I don't really know if I'm cut out for betta ownership

There's nothing similar that I've noticed, nor any particular pattern of fish that die. I just find them either floating head up or on the bottom of the 'tanks' on their sides. I think the copper gold girl was attacked by the others as she's the smallest and definately the shy one in the ladies tank (I found chunks out of her body when I discovered her dead). I thought I might've had an infection or something but most of them, strangely all of the males (except poor Oogie) that I've got from forum breeders are going strong and blowing bubblenets in their tanks. They all had a waterchange this week and none showed any visable signs of illness or injury. I think the imbellis might've got tangled in weeds and drowned. The four from yesterday are currently in the freezer awaiting burial when the weather cools down. Half of the ones that died on me were bought from fish shops and I suspect three out of those four weren't young fish to start with... Lazen was well over 2 years old and definately didn't get pampered like my others... maybe there's a pearl of wisdom in that.

I have had a few pass on over the past few weeks, all of them had a bacterial infection but I suspect that the temp variations have had a lot to do with it. I have found that if the temperature fluctuates too much you will get bacterial problems regardless of what you do to prevent them, and we have had a long string of 35, 36 degree days plus a couple of over 40 days. When I win lotto I am building a climate controlled fish room!! (I wish)

*Di sticks her hand up* After the first heat wave last week I lost 6 fish (all with dropsy but mainly older, bigger fish). I too think the heat got the big guys. :rant: I haven't yet had any show any affects from the Christmas Eve heatwave though (gotta admit that I didn't let the tanks water temp get as high either). Cheers, Di

Has anyone else noticed the appearance of dropsy in relation to hot days? I to lost a cple of fish to dropsy (ones I had had for quite awhile to *lol* ), after we had a cple of days weather yo-yo-ing between mid 30's and dropping to mid 20's the next day, and then climbing again. I now only have 4 females and one male left of my orginal lot. All the rest are my babies :) :P

I havent had any problems with heat. The majority of my fish are kept outside in a metal shed, that is in full sun and althouhg the water feels warm, they dont seem to be affected by it. Although the shed is going soon so there wont be any in there when it gets to the hottest part of summer in January etc.

Archived