Possible new males

afr3178

It's a bit hard to give an opinion without seeing them flaring. If you are looking at breeding, then get the red one to match your female. He looks like he is possibly from a salamander spawn.

The steel blue fish in the photo looks more copper than steel...

Oh, the pics don't match the little comments down the bottom. I was thinking the pics were salamander and copper, I'm not very confident with colours.

I was saying there was also a steel blue one and a red one which I don't have pics of but might be getting.

I'm thinking of pairing the top salamander make with one of Ness' females:

dffba0f5.jpg

choosing matching ones is usually a good bet because you have some idea of what you might produce.

the alternative is to go crazy scientist and experiment until you find a trait you like pop up XD

I will say though, keep red/red wash fish away from others because the red is really hard to get

rid of. some people like red wash though. just my 2 cents, as i'm not a fan of it.

:)

I don't like red wash either. That's why I looked at 3 near identical copper males and chose the one in the pic cause he had almost no red wash.

I want a salamander pair cause they're pretty so I can get salamnader babies :)

Plus I'll just mix my copper with an orange dragon female and see what they produce :)

I'll call you Afro...

It's kinda hard for us to give an opinion here... what we can each say is that "I prefer copper" vs "I prefer orange"... we would feel bad about critiquing somebody elses fish of they haven't asked for it, and... we can't really critique unless you get some really good pics of the fish flaring.

One thing is clear though, they look cute... and you've got a tough choice ahead. Take your time looking at them. Check that they are healthy and active. That they flare at each other, and that they are free from disease or injury. Next look to make sure they are free from deformity, then look for good form. You will need to assess this with a little bit of time set aside... sometimes you see a fault that makes for an automatic disqualification, sometimes it's really hard!!!

If you really want, think about breeding goals, before choosing your next fish (if you are to breed them).

BTW, copper x orange dragon will probably yield a range of metallic steels to dragon with red (maybe some non-red) wash!

Hope tha helps

They're in quarantine at them moment and the next time I'm going to see them is on Sunday... I don't know how to get good pics of a betta :( is there a trick to make them flare at the camera?

I'll probably end up buying all 4 haha. I spent the last hour of work going through the 100 male HM that came in from Bankok. It was so hard to try to pick only a couple, but I think I got the better ones.

By the way, my name is Adam :)

You mean you don't want to be called Afro? LOL

You might notice a bit of jealousy from me and the rest of the crew if you get the first pick of the imports - but it's alll just because we wish we had that kind of gig! Nice score Adam!!! you working at Coburg?

I've heard so many things get mislabeled, so it can be disappointing if you order something. I've mostly noticed Bettas being called something they aren't, example: a PK pair may be two females, "dragons" might be a blue marble, etc.

So great to hear you're in there, of course there ARE lots of knowledgeable people in AL (and other wholesalers), but still plenty of things are unrightfully named.

Adam-fro,

Colour wise I would go for the Salamander male - provided he has a nice D shape caudal....

if you buy them all you can bring them to the show and we can tell you what we think of them.

If you're looking to breed - maybe you should get this female (left):

6692548.jpg instead of this female (right): 6825981.jpg

I know the one on the right has a bigger dosal, but there's something about her downward pointing tail, and the shape of her back - and the way the anal fin matches up with the caudal.

I'd be happier if I knew you had the better female if you are breeding (i'll make the one on the left the same price for you) Wasn't sure originally if you were setting up a sorority or not...

She's also got a bit more red through her colour so she'd help that top male darken up.... all just my opinion... up to you.

You basically want to keep Red/Salamander together.... copper/metallics/blue/turq together, and yellows with yellows.

Down the track with your salamanders I'd suggest introducing a good extended red to darken the pigment of the red again.

(: -Ness

@Sarah PM Sent.

@Ness, thank you so much! Clearly I am quite new to the breeding game.. I'm excited for Sunday so I can learn!! Really looking forward to the genetic talk. Unfortunately I won't have my males by then :( but I would've brought them if I did.

Here is a very very very bad video. Just thougt I'd post it. It's of two salamander males I was choosing between...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4XTfI66h0s

Edited by afr3178

from the video it's clear the one to the right has tail splits... this is not a problem in itself, but might become an issue IF infection sets in. You don't want to buy a new fish and nurse it back to health from fin rot as soon as you bring it home. Worth thinking about. Both don't seem to flare very much, but the one on the left didn't seem to flare at all. Does it flare? can it reach HM??

Edit... BTW Ness, the salamander girl with the really broad dorsal... I've always thought she looked like a double tail, but with the one lobe (the lower one) SEVERELY underdeveloped - only really a tiny strand that sort of peeks out between the anal and the caudal... ????maybe????

Edited by paul

I think they were both just pretty stressed, like I moved them from their little jars to a 200liter tank and they had no time to settle in. They can both reach HM, I wish I had more time to look. I will on Sunday and report back :) I was thinking of going with the one without the splits anyway because of the cleaner white cuts on the tips. Besides that, they're basically identical. Hopefully on Sunday he would've settled and be flaring.

• 3 weeks later...

So for the last 3 weeks straight AI have ordered 100 HM in! I work in quarantine every Sunday, so get to see the new comers before they are up for sale! I've had a tough time deciding on some... There was a yellow one this week as well as 2 white ones.. Lots of different blues and reds, some black ones, greens and an assortment of other colours here and there. I'm going to go into work soon and pick about 5 after I look through them for hours! Exams the next 3 weeks... So hopefully I'll be able to pop in when I have some spare time ;)

I've noticed that they don't sell very fast... Your LFS might not even buy from AI. If they do they might not know there are HM for sale. I don't know why they sell so slow, but one time when we had 100 HM females in, it took about a month and a half for them to all sell! I don't know why they took so long to sell..

I can understand why females don't sell as fast, as they are more sought after by hobbyists rather than mum, dad and the kids getting a pretty fish to keep in a bowl.

As to why halfmoons don't sell as well as veil tails. Well that might be more of a perception thing from. For most people, veil tails are the only fancy betta they know of, and when they see something new, it may not look quite right. Plus the price tag might have something to do with it.

Many non fishie people I know don't understand how a Siamese fighting fish can cost more that $10. The standard line is you can buy a fancy one in any pet shop for $10, any more and that's just crazy money.

Now I'm gonna go broke... So in quarantine today there were lots of nice fighters! Some HMPK white, black some mustard gas HM, violet BF HM, red copper CT, black orchid CT, violet CTPK, CT dragon, mustard gas CT- it said PK but they don't look like it... So I left a note :P some asst. big ears (dumbo) mostly purple and pinks and I can't remember what else... But there were I think 2 more. There were only about 10-20 for each so I'm going to be quick. Also, a tank of female HM and several tanks for CT female, we don't usually get either of them... So I'm gonna stock up! There are still the HM from the last 3 weeks... I need more space! I'll probably go blow my money on Thursday!