Self Cleaning Betta Tank

shadoh

I saw a link to this on the IBC forum last night and thought it was a promising concept. IMO it would need to be larger to give the fish more room and accommodate a heater, but the concept is great and could be adapted for Barrack designs as well. The waste works it's way through the rocks to a reservoir underneath. To do a water change, pour the fresh water in and the waste gets flushed out...

http://nocleanaquariums.com/85-2/

• 1 month later...

Well I have been thinking on this for a while now, and I'm trying to streamline my juvi grow out barracks, I've got containers all sitting in a bay-maree style with one heater and around 18 large containers sitting inside.

Just for starters - totally hypothetical, and based on the principals of these no clean aquariums: http://nocleanaquariums.com/85-2/

Do you think this could potentially work, if I bought several beanie boxes, had them all flooding out into the bay-maree (which would then have a tap on it to drain and refill with clean water)

IMG_5948.jpg

Forget the logistics of what materials for a moment (that bit is next) would this work?

I am not scientist.

-MadinventorNess

u could try it with simply things such as a drinking straw and the beanie box.

I'm not completely sure but I don't thing you could have enough head (energy) above the outlet to create a suckion effect to get the entire bottom of the beanie box. But then again the size of the pipe may can creat a big enough force to drag it out.

Hey Ness.

I am in the process of designing something similar. In a tank situation

Suggest you try with various outlet diameters to create a suction/ drawing action.

If you look at the video there is definitely a concave false bottom to the jar.

also the pouring of the water into the jar is a little aggressive this could be to help start the drawing action.

Hope to have mine up and running soon.

Capillary Action demo

From what I can see, where you have the mesh in your design, they have a funnel like reservoir. With the mesh, you'll just get all the waste washing back up into the main section when adding new water and just creating a mess. With the funnel design, if water is being forced down through the hole at the bottom, there is nowhere for the waste to go but up through the outlet tube...

Does that make sense? Hope so, cause it made my brain hurt *lol*

it's not Capillary Action that drives this... it works by having a higher energy inside the tank than outside the tank. The reason that the water comes out is the tank trying to decrease that energy.

A capillary action works by surface tension, the density of the liquid etc. Got nothing to do with self-cleaning tanks. If you want to research the siphon action is much closer to this design and will benefit you.

In your design Ness the outlet is too high. You need to drop it a bit so that when you fill with fresh water, there is enough pressure to push the water out. The siphon thingamajig that I brought along to the first VB meet we had last year works on the same principle.

Razzi, I have to admit I thought of that siphon- and still don't have enough of an engineer's brain to understand it.

Okay - Round 2! MAD PROFESSOR CHALLENGER, READY - 3, 2, 1 - FIGHT!

WHAT IF I got a PLASTIC FUNNEL:

PS%20Funnel%20-%20Single.jpg

Cut the large end so it has a SQUARE shape that fits in the beanie box... all the gunk goes STRAIGHT DOWN, I work a way to obscure the hole so Mister Betta won't get stuck....

IMG_5951.jpg

Yes? no?