Blue Rams Spawning...

kermadum

I've had this pair for about a month I guess, and they've been living in my 4ft community tank quite happily.

I moved them about a week ago to my tall tank, with the idea that they'd live in there with the angelfish. I had thought about trying to get them to spawn, but not done anything about it. They hadn't really shown much sign of doing anything other than the male being very brightly coloured the last few days. And then sure enough today (after I added 6 angels yesterday) I come home from a Sunday drive to find them cleaning an area on the back of some driftwood, and I said to my partner that I thought we were going to have eggs this afternoon, and within minutes they started laying.

I tried to get some video footage, but there's been a bit of an algae outbreak in this tank as it's only recently setup and although I scrape the algae off the front, I decided to leave it on the sides and back for the time being. So naturally, you can't really see them unless you can see through the algae, which in real life isn't tough, but to get video or a photo through it is almost impossible.

Here's a supremely blurry photo but you can see the eggs...

file-69.jpg

and a video that's not much better to come...

I'm doing this from the iPad so hopefully it works but here's the vid.

The other thing I've noticed is that they're 'nest' is right near the filter inlet, the fry will almost surely get sucked in (assuming any result). I think I'll have to get a stocking or something to wrap over the inlet. Turning it off will kill the bacteria in it (won't it?)

Oh yeah I've heard about the difficulties of raising the fry, I'm hopeful that some will survive, but I'm not worried (and won't be surprised) if they don't. Especially with the angels now in that tank. I don't really have another tank to hold them in for a couple of weeks if I took them out, so I think we'll just have to see how we go. The rams are doing a good job of keeping them away so far & the eggs are still there this morning with the parents taking turns to fan them.

I could try to make some sort of mesh cone protection apparatus, but they're in an awkward corner and the eggs are in a sort of driftwood cave, I think it'd be a bit awkward. Will give it a shot, see how I go. They've been pretty good at looking after them & keeping the other fish away so far. Apart from Ottos the only other fish are 6 angels that tend to stay up higher in the water (the tanks about a metre high), but I've read that the fry aren't as good at sticking together as other cichlids so expect a bit of carnage at that stage. I might try to rescue a few to hand raise & let nature run its course with the rest.

Well it seems I spoke too soon. I'm not sure where they've come from, whether there was a second spawning somewhere I couldn't see, or if I wrote off the disappearing eggs as eaten a little too early but I've discovered about a hundred fry in the back of the tank this morning.

Better move the filter inlet up high so that the little guys don't get sucked into the canister filter. It could also explain the excessive aggression of the Blue Rams in the direction of the angelfish.

Now to decide if it's safe to do a water change or not...

They're being quite good parents, the angelfish aren't paying a whole lot of attention but if they get too close the rams give them a good hiding. I expect I'll lose a few, but it's nice to see them being such good parents.

They're staying in a fairly tight school for now & the parents even took some crushed flake down & spat it out for the fry.

I decided to give them a hand & squirted some vinegar eels down to them as well.

I wish I could get a photo without disturbing the fish at the moment but it's a bit dark. The parents have moved all the fry into a 10c coin sized cavity in the substrate. There's one or two moving around but almost all of them are in this indent sitting still with the parents hovering above. It's amazing.