Blue Rams Spawning...

kermadum

Unfortunately this first lot of fry disappeared, the parents ushered them into the back one day behind the plants & they were never seen again, I suspect that the angelfish may have something to do with the disappearance.

But they have a new lot that are free swimming now & the angelfish have been moved so that at least if they go missing this time it was not the angelfish responsible.

The youngin's were free swimming today when I got home from work & wow! I thought there was a lot in the first attempt, this time around there's hundreds. I'd say between 200 and 300 fry easily.

I tried to get a video to show the number but the focus is all squiggly, it gives you some idea though.

I've not bred these before, but from what I've read they should be a few months growing. In theory they should be able to stay with the parents & the parents should continue to care for them for a while, but it can vary from fish to fish so we'll have to see how they go. I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks Tracey. The fry seem to be doing well. I've been feeding them infusoria & vinegar eels & just starting them on microworms & baby brine shrimp today. They're hungry little buggers, which is a good sign.

The poor parents can't keep them all together though. They have a group of about 150 together then throughout the rest of the tank there are heaps scattered around doing their own thing. They try to collect them up, but there's just way too many to find them all amongst the jungle.

That is so cool Adam

I recon even if you get twenty out of the batch they should be the fitest and best for future Gens. Is the substraight Amazon? and that Blaxya is a great cover for them. Good luck and I realy do hope that more than twenty make it

Cheers

Les

Yeah it's Amazonia. Expensive, but it sure does work. That Blyxa is insane, it started with half a dozen healthy, but small, pieces and within a fortnight, Blyxa jungle. I swear it's the Amazonia, I've never been able to grow it in my community tank (that's just gravel & Dino dung (it was setup so long ago aquasoils didn't exist in Australia as far as I know).

If I can keep a few fry alive I think they'll definitely be good parents to future generations, from everything I've read rams are renowned for being poor parents due to too many years of farmed breeding & removing fry from their parents, not allowing the parents to pass on parenting skills to their offspring. If I can get a few well adjusted rams out there I'll feel a little but awesome.

Hey Adam I grow my Blyxa in the substaight that Jarrod posted and it has doubled. But I have just moved it to a new tank and used Amazonia two bags in a three footer so hopfully ill get the same result as you have.

Cheers

les